T-Mobile breaking promises to seniors who were offered price-lock guarantee for life on 55+ rate plans

Show first post

85 replies

Userlevel 3

Reply after submitting formal complaint to the FCC.  What was T-Mobiles CEO thinking would happen? Hopefully this gets national attention.  Oh that’s right, T-Mobile had to do this because of inflation … wait … inflation? what inflation? …. CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CNN says inflation is more right wing propaganda.  This story will never make any news.

Thank you for your submission. Based on our review, your Ticket No. xxxxxxx was served on your provider on May 24, 2024.

Here's what you can expect from the FCC's informal complaint process:

- Your provider should contact you directly in an effort to resolve your issue.
- The FCC's role in this process is to facilitate a conversation between you and your provider.
- Your provider is required to submit to the FCC a written response regarding your issue no later than 30 days from today.
- The FCC will not contact you until we receive a response from your provider.

Userlevel 3

I have been with TM for over 22 years and on the One55 plan locked price. I also got a message of a $5 ,increase. Honestly, I don't mind because there isn't anything out there that comes even close to the benefits TM offers automatically with each plan. If it is the point that we are supposed to be locked in, ok, I get it. However, it has been well over 10 years since I have had any price increase even though I benefited from upgrades without paying. Such as 5G. I took this time to upgrade my plan and got amazing benefits and specials. Yes, it is an increase in my bill but I'm saving on the back end because I can cancel some of my streaming accounts. I'm on a tight budget and fixed income as well, but if you do a little research and talk to an agent politely, you might find switching plans could save you money in the end. If not, Is $5 really that bad/much considering what they give us for free? I personally don't think it's asking too much. I haven't found anything else out there that comparable to what TM offers in the same price range. 

I have also been a T-Mobile customer for 22+ years, but to me it is NOT a matter of 5, 10 or whatever dollar amount is involved… IT IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE.

If you say YES to their Breach of Contract now, then you should not have an issue when they increase it in the future… right?  You “fell hook, line, and sinker” to T-Mobile’s Bait & Switch Scam !!!  Enjoy it !!!

We have been with T-Mobile for many years, never missed a payment,  and felt that we had finally found a company worth doing our business with.  Most of the store reps have delivered excellent customer service over the years.  But now it appears that the top leadership of the company has just flushed all those “trusted” years down the corporate toilet.  We, as thousands of other seniors signed a contract that stated that the Senior Unlimited 55+ Plan had a “Guaranteed Never to Go Up” price lock.  Now we are being told that each line will go up $5.  And this is the second time that T-Mobile has purposely taken the liberty to raise our agreed contractual price lock (credit card to debit card change penalty).  We, as most seniors, are on a very tight budget; obviously not reaping the rewards of T-Mobile’s yearly profits, which is evident in its top executive salaries (easy to google).  We will not only be forwarding this letter to Mike Sievert (CEO)(mike.siever@t-mobile.com) and the other top executives; but will be encouraging all our friends, neighbors, and any others to do the same.  And if this increase is not reversed, and T-Mobile no longer honors its contractual obligations – we will be looking elsewhere to do our business.  And we will be encouraging others to do the same.  Our trust level with T-Mobile has greatly diminished with this rate increase.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just went thru the same “Your current plan says nothing about a Price-Lock” goat rope with a young T-Mobile Customer Svc Rep. Sadly, he’s the one that has to to endure our rath. Anyway, after sharing I’d enrolled in the (Then) Senior Unlimited 55+ Plan, that included a “Guaranteed Never to Go Up” Price-Lock back in December 2017 AND I needed to know why it’s now called “One Plan 55+” and there’s no longer a lock. Told him I wanted an email address that I could send my concerns to, toward resolution, and was informed there are NO T-Mobile email addresses, but he would be happy to transfer me to his Tampa Supervisor. I gladly accepted that offer and eagerly awaited the end of the Elevator Music, which not surprisingly never ended,  I hung up after 15 minutes. I will be doing the 611 thing AGAIN, and this time tell a Supervisor (among other things) to Read the discuss on their Community Page. I may need to give him/her the link to the page.

I also spoke to a customer rep and was told it's far above his pay grade. Told me to write to corporate. 

T-Mobile Wireless                                                            PO Box 37380.                                                      Albuquerque, NM  87176

I intend to treat this as "False Advertising" and may seek an attorney for this, if not satisfied with their answer. When a corporation advertises "For life", I expect them to honor it. They,  most likely, would save many dollars in legal cost if they would just honor what they say. I get so angry when these large corporations think that they can get away with nickel and diming their customers. They just finished hitting us with fee's for using credit card auto-pay. They could save millions of dollars, by simply reducing or eliminating, the amount of free stuff that they think we are interested in. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have been with TM for over 22 years and on the One55 plan locked price. I also got a message of a $5 ,increase. Honestly, I don't mind because there isn't anything out there that comes even close to the benefits TM offers automatically with each plan. If it is the point that we are supposed to be locked in, ok, I get it. However, it has been well over 10 years since I have had any price increase even though I benefited from upgrades without paying. Such as 5G. I took this time to upgrade my plan and got amazing benefits and specials. Yes, it is an increase in my bill but I'm saving on the back end because I can cancel some of my streaming accounts. I'm on a tight budget and fixed income as well, but if you do a little research and talk to an agent politely, you might find switching plans could save you money in the end. If not, Is $5 really that bad/much considering what they give us for free? I personally don't think it's asking too much. I haven't found anything else out there that comparable to what TM offers in the same price range. 

You are an example of what is wrong with many people these days. You just roll over and take it like a defeated animal. One might wonder if you work in T-Mobile's marketing department?

Userlevel 4

For what it’s worth:  I received a call earlier this afternoon from Alex at T-Mobile.  He basically said that “with honesty and being upfront, we cannot lower the price of your plan”.  I see that many of the thread entries on this site have been removed.  I’m getting “you are not authorized” at this site.

I have received replies from the FCC and the South Carolina Dept of Consumer Affairs … both saying they have received my complaint.  I also heard from my US Congressman who, while polite, says he can do nothing.

I hope this all gets resolved and I hope T-Mobile decides to stick with their word.  I doubt it.  Even if I end up paying more, I’ll NOT do business with a company that has not integrity.

Best of luck to all.  I hope I’m able to keep posting, and I will keep this community informed if I can.

Userlevel 4

You are an example of what is wrong with many people these days. You just roll over and take it like a defeated animal. One might wonder if you work in T-Mobile's marketing department?

By the tenor of your note, I’m doubting you’re a customer.  When you say “I’ve been with TM for over 22 years” … I take you at your word!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I found the 10k report from Tmobile for Dec 31 2018 that One plans :

• The ability for customers to keep their price for service until they decide to change it;

enough said!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

More of it,

Our primary service plan offering, which allows customers to subscribe for wireless communication services separately from the purchase of a device is our T-Mobile ONE plan ("T-Mobile ONE"), which includes:

• Unlimited talk, unlimited text and unlimited high-speed 4G LTE data on their device, where monthly wireless service fees and sales taxes are included in the advertised monthly recurring charge;
  • Video that typically streams at DVD (480p) quality and tethering is at maximum 3G speeds;
  • The ability for customers to keep their price for service until they decide to change it;
  • The ability for qualifying T-Mobile ONE customers on family plans to opt in for a standard monthly Netflix service plan at no additional cost; and
  • The ability for customers to choose to add on additional features for an additional cost on T-Mobile ONE Plus, where customers also receive:
  • Unlimited high definition video streaming;
  • 20 GB of high-speed 4G LTE tethering;
  • Voicemail to Text, NamelD and unlimited Gogo in-flight internet passes on capable domestic flights; 

etc….

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is a screen shot I took back on November 30th, 2017. This advertisement is what brought me to T-Mobile. What a great plan! NEVER having to worry about those pesky rate increases for the rest of my life. This is deceptive and false advertising. I intend to take this to the Chairman of the Board. If no satisfaction is given, I will start legal proceedings. I have been made a fool of and I won’t stand for that. What’s even worse, back in 11/2017, I shared this ad with several friends, with many of them switching to T-Mobile on my recommendation. What an ass I am!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

With autopay, you get the deal. Ok, sign me up!!! I did in November 2017. What a fool I was. Worse, I sold this to my friends. Might lose those friends? Thanks T-Mobile

Userlevel 1
Badge

See the 10-k SEC report for Tmobile 2018 

proves our case!

Userlevel 1
Badge

No way to bury this proof

Badge

File a complaint with the FCC and your state attorney general office! Takes less than 5 minutes; hopefully the FCC and/or a state attorney general can bring T-Mobile back to their promise “lifelong rate lock”

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There is a much longer thread on this same topic here: 

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next

The Un-carrier Goes ‘All In.’ T-Mobile ONE Now Includes Taxes & Fees.

January 05, 2017

At “Un-carrier Next,” T-Mobile charts what’s next in wireless—announces an end to bogus monthly fees and added taxes, abolishes price hikes & pays customers back for unused data

Las Vegas, Nevada — January 5, 2017 —T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) today kicked off the next phase in its Un-carrier Movement—and unveiled a barrage of new moves aimed at eliminating some of the worst customer pain points in wireless today. Speaking at the “Un-carrier Next” press event during CES in Las Vegas, T-Mobile president and CEO John Legere and COO Mike Sievert announced the Un-carrier is putting an end to all those crazy monthly fees and added taxes, giving you—and only you—the power to change the price you pay, and even putting money back in your pocket for data you don’t use.

“Wireless consumers pay Billions extra every year in added surcharges, taxes, monthly fees and carrier price hikes. It’s reached epidemic proportions! And, the carriers just keep inventing new ways to make their customers pay. So, the Un-carrier’s putting an end to it,” said John Legere, T-Mobile president and CEO. “Today, with Un-carrier Next, we’re laying down New Rules for the Mobile Internet, and with T-Mobile ONE, we’re creating the first unlimited subscription to the Mobile Internet that works for absolutely everyone.”

Carrier customers are subjected to a steady barrage of ads for wireless deals—only to face bill shock and wonder what the hell happened when their Verizon or AT&T bill arrives. Suddenly, that $110 family plan Verizon advertises on their web site has exploded to $210.70 for a family of four on average, because carriers could slap you with up to 75 other surcharges, bogus fees and assorted taxes that jack up the price by more than $100! Every. Single. Month.

Worse, the carriers raised prices on their customers at least 22 times in the last four years and launched at least 11 ‘exploding’ promos to lure customers with a sweet deal that expires down the road, increasing your monthly bill. The result is that the price carriers advertise is never the price you actually pay, and customers end up handing over an extra $17.2 BILLION extra every year in monthly fees and added taxes.

Today’s salvo of Un-carrier moves tackle these customer pain points head on and establish New Rules for the Mobile Internet.

New Rule:  What You See Should Be What You Pay – Taxes & Monthly Fees Included on T-Mobile ONE

T-Mobile today went All In on T-Mobile ONE—completely wiping away monthly wireless service fees and even including all taxes on T-Mobile ONE. Now, the price you see advertised is actually the price you pay. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE and AutoPay for $40 a line for a family of four, your bill at the end of the month is EXACTLY $40 per line for your wireless service. And not a penny more.

New Rule:  You Shouldn't Have to Pay for What You Don't Use– Introducing KickBack on T-Mobile ONE

T-Mobile also unveiled KickBack on T-Mobile ONE. In yet another unprecedented Un-carrier first, T-Mobile will now actually pay you back for what you don’t use. When you use 2 GB or less in a month, you’ll get an up to $10 credit on your next month’s bill per qualifying line. So, you never have to guess how much data you’ll use. Just opt-in online, pay your bill on time and get paid back if you use just a little!

With an extra line costing just $20 on T-Mobile ONE (lines 3-8), you can add a line – for a tablet or family member – that could cost just $10 a month after KickBack.

New Rule:  Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay – Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE

Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched another industry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. With the Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-Mobile ONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will never change the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay.

In 2017, I signed up for a 55+ rate plan with the assurance that my monthly rate was price-locked for life.  This incentive was a primary reason that I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.  Now, T-Mobile is trying to raise my monthly rate by $10.00.  When I spoke to their customer service people this morning they told me that there was nothing that they could do to fix the problem.  I also noted that they changed all of the marketing information on their web site to delete all references to the price-lock guarantee which I was offered when I set up the account.  We need to find a way to complain loudly to T-Mobile about this breach of contract and breach of trust.  If we do nothing, they will raise our rates again in the future.  Let’s fight back.  Thanks for listening.

This has happened to me and thousands of us.   We somehow need to get a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against T Mobile...that is a $120.00 year increase what is right is right and this is BREACH OF CONTRACT. If anyone is or knows any class action attorney  sadly this is what needs to be done to stop this crap and have them enforce what they sold us

This has happened to me and thousands of us.   We somehow need to get a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against T Mobile...that is a $120.00 year increase what is right is right and this is BREACH OF CONTRACT. If anyone is or knows any class action attorney  sadly this is what needs to be done to stop this crap and have them enforce what they sold us

Userlevel 3

Ask anyone on the meaning of 55+ and they will answer that 55+ just means SENIORS.

For T-Mobile to rescind on their promise of the 55+ “$30 per month rate plan would “never” go up is simply a BREACH OF CONTRACT and to do it to the 55+ group is simply AGEISM DISCRIMINATION.

We need to have a concerted effort to bring T-Mobile to its senses - these are some:

1. File a complaint with the FCC

... https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

2. File a complaint with the BBB

... https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint

3. Contact your state attorney's general office.

4. Contact your congressperson and two senators.

5. Contact AARP.

6. Contact Costco, if you got your service through them.

7. Start a "Boycott T-Mobile" campaign in social media.

8.Contact your favorite law office to bring a class action lawsuit against them.

You may also try sending an email to Pres/CEO Mike Sievert

... Mike.Sievert@t-mobile.com

Remember... UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

And for good measure, file a fraud complaint with the FTC. I also have one on file with DOJ’s anti-trust division.  

This morning, I heard back from “Karen” from T-Mobile. They received my BBB complaint and wanted to review it with me. I got nowhere with her, of course. She told me there was nothing they could do about the price of my plan, told me the effective date, and that if I decide to leave within 60 days, they’d cover my final bill. She asked if I intended to leave, and I replied, Oh no… I fully expect there to be a class action suit againt T-Mobile for breach of contract over this, and I want to be here when that happens.

Clearly, we all see that T-Mobile is no longer the same company it was under John Legere, where they were much more customer friendly. Since his departure, we’ve seen the company discontinue the use of credit cards for auto pay, and requiring debit cards or other direct access to your bank account, which has fewer protections than credit cards. Now we see T-Mobile pissing off a very large portion of their customer base with this price increase. I’ve seen a lot of subscribers like myself talking about a class action lawsuit, but don’t know if anyone has moved forward with this idea. I certainy hope there is a law firm out there willing to take this up.

Userlevel 5
Badge

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!  After my original post, I filed a complaint against T-Mobile with the Federal Communications Commission using the link provided by another customer in this thread.  The FCC sent me a follow-up e-mail confirming that they had forwarded my complaint to T-Mobile.  Earlier today, I noticed that T-Mobile had changed my monthly bill back to the original amount of $60.00 for two (2) lines.  This is the same price that I have been paying since 2017.  No notice or response from T-Mobile, but they are no longer trying to increase my monthly rate.  It could be a coincidence, but it sounds like filing the FCC complaint may have worked.  I urge all of you to give it a try.  Only takes five (5) minutes online.  Nothing to lose.  Let us know whether it works for you too.  Good luck!

Userlevel 3

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!  After my original post, I filed a complaint against T-Mobile with the Federal Communications Commission using the link provided by another customer in this thread.  The FCC sent me a follow-up e-mail confirming that they had forwarded my complaint to T-Mobile.  Earlier today, I noticed that T-Mobile had changed my monthly bill back to the original amount of $60.00 for two (2) lines.  This is the same price that I have been paying since 2017.  No notice or response from T-Mobile, but they are no longer trying to increase my monthly rate.  It could be a coincidence, but it sounds like filing the FCC complaint may have worked.  I urge all of you to give it a try.  Only takes five (5) minutes online.  Nothing to lose.  Let us know whether it works for you too.  Good luck!

I filed a complaint with the FCC as well, but have yet to hear back. I could try using the link that you used, but it might not be a good idea to have duplicate complaints on file with them.

I am in the same boat as everyone else in this thread.  I called T-Mobile twice.  First to complain about the price increase that was guaranteed to never go up and being told after speaking to the rep who passed my call onto a manager named Rodney who told me he would investigate and call me back today (June 4).  That call lasted almost 1 hour and I was told that the plan I had did not include a rate lock and was not in place until a month after I entered the agreement. 

The second call was today when I spoke with a rep who was unable to find a note in Rodney’s post about when he would return my call.  I asked to escalate again and spoke with Valerie who told me that rate locks only began in January this year (2024) and I could switch to the new plan that was $15 more per line than the magenta 55+ plan or stay with the current plan.

As mentioned in other posts I spoke to Valerie about contacting FCC and the local ABC News and Fox News stations about the issue and she said she was sorry to hear that.  That leaves me with the solutions mentioned - FCC complaint and speaking with News stations about the attempt to discriminate against seniors. 

I fully understand that prices go up but baiting seniors into a fixed price program to steal them from other carriers and then ending the very programs put in place is wrong.  They need to hold the line with promises and prices.  So, I am going to follow another suggestion.  I am going to contact AT&T and Verizon to see if they would like to get seniors to talk about the way their accounts were lured away with false promises.

I will give T-Mobile the chance to correct this big mistake before going to the media and competitors.  Independence Day is coming soon.

In one single move, by reneging on the “we won’t raise your rate” promise, T-Mobile has erased decades of trust.  I always recommended T-Mobile because of superior customer service and the impression I had that they put their customers first.  Sadly, they now have become no better (or worse) than their competitors.  I will be shopping.

Same issue here with 55+ senior plan.  Rep told me when I signed up that my rate would never increase so long as I did not change plans, and kept my account in good standing.  I have not changed plans, and my account is, and has always been in good standing.  I contacted T Mobile customer service today about the issue, and they tried to gaslight me by telling me that my plan never included a lifetime price lock guarantee.  Frauds and liars.  I see a class action lawsuit coming on this one.  Any good lawyers out there?  I also just filed a complaint with the FCC.  If anyone else would like to make a complaint, here is the link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us  Takes about 5 minutes or less.

Userlevel 3

Same issue here with 55+ senior plan.  Rep told me when I signed up that my rate would never increase so long as I did not change plans, and kept my account in good standing.  I have not changed plans, and my account is, and has always been in good standing.  I contacted T Mobile customer service today about the issue, and they tried to gaslight me by telling me that my plan never included a lifetime price lock guarantee.  Frauds and liars.  I see a class action lawsuit coming on this one.  Any good lawyers out there?  I also just filed a complaint with the FCC.  If anyone else would like to make a complaint, here is the link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us  Takes about 5 minutes or less.

You might want to also file a fraud complaint with the FTC, file a complaint with the BBB, and also your state’s attorney general, especially if your state was one of the 13 that sued to try to block the Sprint merger. Now T-Mobile wants to merge with U.S. Cellular, reducing competition even further…. now that they’ve shown their true colors after the Sprint merger, the U.S. Cellular merger should be blocked.