Solved

Price Lock

Show first post

293 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

See my post on “Un-contract” language. Appears to have changed somewhat over time. Those of us on guaranteed price plans from years ago do not appear to have had the “we’ll just pay your last month if we break the promise” escape clause for them. In fact, it appears they specifically prohibited themselves from modifying any of the terms.

Can’t get anyone at T-mobile to address that aspect, or really even to acknowledge the difference exists. Unless they do explain it me soon though, they’ll get a chance to explain it to the Public Utilities Commission instead :)

Hello, just filed an fcc complaint for unauthorized rate increases and improper record keeping as T-Mobile has a price lock guarantee for magenta 1 plans that is being violated with no original contracts available after 3 years. Just filing an fcc complaint for a paper trail for a class action lawsuit. If anyone would like assistance filing a complaint I’d be more than happy to assist. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It appears T-Mobile has spent an enormous amount of resources on scrubbing the web of any mention of their “55+ For Life” plan, that was available back in the fall of 2017. I have searched far and wide to find any mention of it on the web, to no avail. Very clever these people! I’m posting two screenshots I took back in 2017. These advertisements are what brought me to T-Mobile. What a great plan! NEVER having to worry about those pesky rate increases for the rest of my life. Today, this appears to be false and deceptive advertising. I intend to take this to the Chairman of the Board. If no satisfaction is given, I will start legal proceedings. Back in 11/2017, I shared these ad’s with several friends, with many of them switching to T-Mobile based on the ad’s and my recommendation. I and many others have been made fools of and we shouldn’t let that stand. I have filed a complaint with the FCC. I hope that those of you, that have been fooled, will too. Good luck to us all!

(Offer details were to accept autopay)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is this the same as the 55+ for Life plan that has been violated as well? Perhaps that could be included in the class action to? Many people upset over that deceit.

Badge

T-Mobile so-called “price lock” is false promise i.e. “promise made, but promise NOT kept”. Have a One plan unlimited 55+ with a price lock, promise to NEVER increase the price; guess what……? Received a text message that the price will go up $ 10/month with a fluff explanation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Good luck, you’ll need it.  I suspect that T-Mobile has already made its … ‘statement’, and is a top down decision.  i.e. reps and others will fall in line and support/promote it or look for a new job.

Userlevel 2

I'm with you, not happy at all

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I just got a call from T-Mobile “corporate’ in regard to my BBB complaint. They are now telling me that I signed up during a window (something from 2017 to 2021) which they are calling “no-contract”, meaning, according to them, that they can change my price anytime they want. This is total crap, as no where when I signed up did it say that. I asked for a copy of that, and they don’t seem to have it. How convenient. To add insult to injury, he tried to tell me that no phone company would ever offer a plan where the price could not be raised. Seriously? So the ads, the text on-line, the discussion when I signed up was all just lies? That sounds like bait and switch to me. 

I am going to escalate my BBB complaint and ask that it be posted with into about T-Mobile. People need to know that while their network may be decent. they are a company we can no longer trust. 

I will never recommend this to anyone again, that is for sure. 

I guess that I must have died and not noticed or perhaps T-Mobile wants us to pay for their acquisitions out of the goodness of our hearts.  Looks like it’s time for a class action.

Do you have a URL for a FCC complaint?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I guess that I must have died and not noticed or perhaps T-Mobile wants us to pay for their acquisitions out of the goodness of our hearts.  Looks like it’s time for a class action.

Do you have a URL for a FCC complaint?

Do a Google search for FCC complaint. You just need to go to their website.

Userlevel 3

I just got a call from T-Mobile “corporate’ in regard to my BBB complaint. They are now telling me that I signed up during a window (something from 2017 to 2021) which they are calling “no-contract”, meaning, according to them, that they can change my price anytime they want. This is total crap, as no where when I signed up did it say that. I asked for a copy of that, and they don’t seem to have it. How convenient. To add insult to injury, he tried to tell me that no phone company would ever offer a plan where the price could not be raised. Seriously? So the ads, the text on-line, the discussion when I signed up was all just lies? That sounds like bait and switch to me. 

I am going to escalate my BBB complaint and ask that it be posted with into about T-Mobile. People need to know that while their network may be decent. they are a company we can no longer trust. 

I will never recommend this to anyone again, that is for sure. 

I January 2017 John Legere announced the Uncarrier Un-contract, with the relevant part here:

New Rule:  Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay – Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE

Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched another industry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. With the Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-Mobile ONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will never change the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay.

The entire document still exists on their web site and can be found here:  https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/un-carrier-next

From another document on their site, it looks like price lock guarantees go back to 2015, referenced in their May 2022 document, where price lock is still in effect.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-helps-americans-tackle-inflation

That changed in January 2024, with their new price lock guarantee. Under the new statement, your price is still guaranteed, but if they do raise your price and you decide to leave, notify them withing 60 days and they’ll pay your final bill. They’re trying to retroactively apply this new price lock to those of us with the ironclad agreement to never raise our price. Only we can decide to change the price we pay.

T-Mobile can’t do that…. but what recourse do we have other than filing complaints and hoping that a law firm is willing to take this on and file a class action lawsuit for breach of contract. This can’t be allowed to stand.

It sounds like the Magenta plans are safe for now and it's the Simple Choice and One plans plus the grandfathered Sprint plans.

Going to be either a $2 a line or $5 a line increase depending on the plan.

This also includes the magenta 55 plan, I spoke with a representative and although I am a grandfather spirit customer and on the magenta 55 and was told I also have a price lock and guaranteed not to increase that no longer exist unless you bought your new plan in 2024 under the new terms. So yes, mine is also going up and when I asked to speak with somebody else other than the representative I was hung up on. 

Userlevel 2

I am so upset over this how can they be allowed to do this ??! They lost ALL credibility 

Userlevel 3

The suggestion to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) was a good one. Earlier this morning, I filed my complaint with them, and a short time later, I had a response already. They forwarded my complaint to T-Mobile and will let me know if/when they hear back.

In addition to my previous suggestions to file complaints with the FCC, FTC, your State’s Attorney General, I encourage everyone to also file a complaint with the BBB. Again, this decision by T-Mobile to breach their contract cannot be allowed to go unchallenged. We’re left with little recourse other than to file these complaints. Still hoping a law firm takes this up as a class action lawsuit.

Well, I've submitted a complaint with the fcc as well.  I don't feel real confident that anything will come out of it but I want to lend a hand and support the effort.  I have two Magenta Max +55 lines.  The thing is I've checked the prices on other plans and the reality is that the cost is still less expensive than other carriers for comparable services.  I looked at Verizon and they are 40 to 60 bucks more expensive a month once I subtract my wife's phone financing out of the equation.  I really don't even want to look at AT&T because they are one of the few carriers left that still use locked phones I believe.  I looked real briefly at the other carriers but really started getting a headache trying to read reviews and sort their offerings out.  We’ll just see what happens I guess.  

T-mobile  do not keep promises . I have a military one plan and they promise do not change price , but they do. Lying customers, false advertising, poor customer service .. They do not care. Disappointed with them , after 10 years. Trying to strait it up, but customer service supervisor told no body in a company will do anything about it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am so upset over this how can they be allowed to do this ??! They lost ALL credibility 

File complaints with BBB, PUC (or your state equiv) and FCC. The more people who complain, the better the chance they will respond accordingly. 

Userlevel 2

I have done all of those 

Userlevel 2

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the FCC.  Any further recommendations?  Do you know if there are any Class Action Suits as of yet?

Total agreement with your statement… I have written T-Mobile Customer Service (mail) with a formal complaint… and also notified Clark Howard’s syndicated consumer talk show of the issue… some national attention to this needs to be done...

Userlevel 3
Badge

There is a downside to angering so many people at once when you have terms that disallow class actions and require arbitrations. A little googling will find a funny story about Amazon doing something similar in 2021 and all of a sudden having 75,000 simultaneous arbitrations to defend against. They wound up essentially begging people to sue them as a group. I’m just waiting for the first bill to come with the unallowed price increase to do a formal dispute, a full battery of complaints to regulatory bodies and force them into arbitration if they don’t back down. You don’t have to give up easily.

Although, one does have to wonder that if the they claim the clear language in the Terms and Conditions disallowing a price change (which for some of us DID NOT have the language about them just being able to pay the last of they break the promise no matter what CS says!) no longer applies, if the term disallowing class action could be enforced. Hmm.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

There is a downside to angering so many people at once when you have terms that disallow class actions and require arbitrations.

I wonder. If they are not going to follow their terms, why must we follow their terms? 
And if the group is big enough, a judge may overturn their restriction. 

I think it may be time to get a lawyer. To charge per line and this is something grandfathered in. With all the price lock guarantee using the word guarantee means something. My service has been terrible and charging more?

I’m happy to help some with price of a lawyer. If enough of us hold them to their word we’ll get a settlement big enough to pay a new plan for the rest of my life. 

While I like that idea/suggestion, rarely do suits against large corporations proceed without a class action type suit. And in the end, those always benefit the lawyers not the actual plaintiffs. jmo

Unfortunately you are correct, we will end up with $2.50 and an open end policy of upping our rates at will

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you happen to be one of the people to get a JD Power survey this year, be sure to fill it out. And accurately describe the customer service experience you’ve received this year.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/2024jd-power-customer-care