Question

0.5mbps on 6 lines for almost two years

• 29 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

For almost two years, my plan consists of 6 lines where our data speed is around 0.5mbps. Tech support has been not helpful and it seems like they can’t even fix the problem. We have 4.5 gb of data on our plan for each line which we don’t come close to using it because our speed is so slow, so it is not a throttling issue. I’ve gone to a T-Mobile store where they didn’t believe me at first til they started testing the speeds on the speedtest app. This is what we did, tried new sims on all lines like 3 times. We than swapped our sims into the store display phones and with the speedtest, it showed 0.5mbps. We than put the sims from the display phones into our phones and it tested at 150mbps. This indicates that it is not an issue with the phones (like c’mon, tech support keeps thinking we need to replace our phones). The store employee proceeds to contact tech support and they have no idea what to do, keep giving us the run around. We are still stuck with this extremely slow data, can’t even order food online when we are on the road. 

What should I do? After tech support wasn’t helpful, the store manager said he would create a ticket and expedite it to the district manager, this was two months ago. I just called the store today to check the progress, apparently the employee that helped me do the tests and the manager are no longer with the company so the store has no idea how to find my ticket and I’m pretty tired of explaining my problem to them every single time and being on hold with tech support for hours for them to tell me to just restart my phone and get a new sim card. By the way, the phones are Samsung S22 5G, Samsung Note 10+ 5G, two iPhone 13 pro max (which we got two months ago at the store when we went in for help about the data) & two iPhone X. If anyone can chime in on what I should try or how to get in contact with an actual American based call center with knowledgeable tech supports, I appreciate it. Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This sounds more like an issue with your ‘account’ that the SIM is tied to (i.e. display SIMs at store work fine, but your SIM - assuming also at the same location - does not).

First option would be to escalate to ‘Advanced Technical Support’ (note:  by default ‘technical experts are actually billing/customer care, often out of the Philippines.  They’re nice enough people, but its extremely scripted support (reboot phone, latest updates, new SIM, refresh network settings, and the famous “Modernizing towers in your area”).  Assuming that you had a new SIM card with your new phones… you should be fine.  Some older SIMs (non R15) were reported to have issues with 5G networks, AFAIK.

If you can’t get escalation to Advanced Technical Support (US based), and they can’t help you, then its time for BBB filing / email to Mike Sievert.  They will get you to the Office of Executive Management, and they will either resolve it … or assist you to porting your line to another carrier.

I have something similar going on. We have 9 lines, four iphones (2 with 5g) and the rest samsung androids (1 5g).  I was experiencing very low signal at my work location and was about 10 feet from a window and the tower about 1 mile away. TMobile said it is probably my old sim cards. At home the tower is also 1 mile away. I was getting about 50 to 120 down and 10 up at the time on all lines. I swapped to the new sim cards and except for my iPhone 11, and two iPhone 12s, I get about 1 mbps down and mostly don't register an up. I cant open emails, navigate internet or use social media.  We've swapped to other sim cards and same deal. My Note 9 is my regular phone and it seems to rub the worst. My 1 5g Samsung phone might get 2 to 5 mbps and less than 1 up. Supposedly TMobile is monitoring my lines now and we should have an answer Monday. And I still don't have an improved signal at work.