Question

5G?

• 30 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Why doesn’t cellular data work on my iPhone when I have no win-fi? There is 5G according to my phone.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

which iphone? physical sim or esim? and if physical sim what phone was it in prior to going into this phone?

iPhone 13. I don’t know what an esim is. So, I assume physical. My son has the same kind of phone. He has no issues with using cellular. I believe the previous phone was an iPhone 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

could be a funky sim card..basically the sim card tells the phone which network it needs to look for and what bands etc. you can rule out sim card by tossing his into your phone and see if you get mobile data back or not. for what its worth...data is turned on within your phone correct?

Yes. Cellular data is turned on on my phone. I’ll try his sim card. Why do phone companies put old sim cards into new phones then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

as long as the prior sim card was working and equal to what is needed in the new phone a new one usually isnt needed. but they do go out at times..not saying this is in fact your issue but also cant be ruled out seeing as how it tells the phone what to look for.

So, should I go to my local T-Mobile store and maybe ask for a new one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

that would also work lol. it could be some simple thing either a setting within your phone that got switched somehow or possibly something on the account itself. they’ll be able to check both.

Thanks. Yeah, I’ll take it to a store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can change it to an esim also.

Thanks!