Question

5G router/non Tmoble home internet (dont have the option)

• 27 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am looking into getting a Tmobile magenta plan that has the unlimited data option or perhaps maybe a tablet plan with unlimited data to use in a 5G/Lte router. 
My question for other useres out there is how is this done, Ive tried to do research on this but can not find a clear answer on the subject nor can I figure out what the best option is as far as a router goes. 
I have an extesive home network but never delved into using mobile data for a home internet source, I also work from home hence the need for a large amount of data (atleast 200gbs/month minimum).for that purpose alone I am sraping by using a tmobile hotspot with 100gb of data and all the hotspots on all the other devices available at home at the moment but need a better solution.

Tmobiles home internet is not an available option where I live either so that option is not one I can consider.

Routers Ive looked at are:
MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM9191-COMBO CAT20 LTE + 5G ROUTER (most expensive expensive option)
TAKTIKAL 4G LTE-A Cat16 Pro Unlocked Dual-Band OpenWRT Sim Card Router (on amazon but a 5g option)
These two are just examples of what Ive looked at, but the routers must have atleast 4 ethernet ports as well as the ability to hook up atleast 1-4 antenas (there is a tower about 5 miles either direction of me).

Any help or suggestions anyone can give especially on setting this up to use the unlimited data (not the hotspot data and its limitations) would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Mobile data plans are not meant for non mobile usage.  Data through those plans from things like a PC/Laptop, gaming console, and other uses will be throttled down to 2G/3G speeds.  

Badge

Maybe keep checking back on TMobile Home Internet (TMHI) options. Mine suddenly showed up yesterday morning as avaible on Lite and then after discussing it with hubby I logged back in to get TMHI Lite and it offered me 5G unlimited. So thats on its way. Don't give up. 

I can connect my computer via BT and USB into my Tmobile phone and then share my computers internet connection. 

You can expand the 4 ethernet ports on the routers you are looking by buying an Ethernet port switcher. They range from 4 to 16 ports. You connect the switcher to the router and then your devices into the switcher. 

But like the other poster said, at some point your mobile data will not be enough to supply the load demands of your many devices.