Question

Are there known signal issues in Austin?

• 9 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We have had terrible problems with signal since the power outages in Austin during the early February 2023 ice storm.  Are there known issues with the T-Mobile towers?  Are other people having problems? Symptoms: 1) We can make and receive calls but the person at the other end generally cannot hear us. 2) If that person can hear us, the call soon drops.  We went through trouble shooting and forcing 2G only seems to help.  But when will normal signal function be restored? Is there any information about this available anywhere? We also have problems with internet access but the voice call issue is the most alarming. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you will need to contact TMO either through calling in or through one of their social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter and have them put in a network ticket for you.

Badge

Thanks, once I posted my message, I reached out to support using the chat tool on the web site.  I was told there was an upgrade process under way and that, indeed, other customers were affected.  I also just got back from running errands and while I was out, I stopped into a T-Mobile store.  They confirmed that there have been cell tower issues since last week’s power outages and that while there have been improvements in some areas, there are still areas with weak signal issues in Austin. They were completely unaware of any upgrades in progress.  Though they said it’s completely possible that there are also upgrades under way.  As far as they were concerned, most issues stem from lingering problems since the power outages.

I find it pretty disappointing that T-Mobile provides no information about known issues with weak signal on their web site.  Sigh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the upgrades could be possible..if theyre needing to do repairs anyways they might have just started in on any needed upgrades while they were at it..i tend to not listen to much about the upgrade talk until i see the results for myself...old habits.

Sprint never did either..well not posting known issues areas.. i think there are a few sites out there that do this though..for some reason downlocator rings a bell..the plus side of Sprints site though was we had agents that could pull all of this info up and or put in a network ticket for you..