Question

Band n25 SA on Galaxy S22 Ultra still not enabled

• 22 December 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge

T-Mobile has recently spoken about the newer n25 SA band being used lately, and it was even tested with my model, the S22 Ultra. Lots of people are already picking up this band (with other model phones, or are having to hack their S22 to even enable the n25 SA band) in carrier aggregation with n41 for improving 5G UC speeds. I have a TMob carrier firmware S22U device and in the most 2 recent software updates, Nov, and now just got Dec ver. S908USQU2BVL1. It's unbelievable that TMob has still not enabled n25 SA. Only n25 NSA is enabled (since Nov update) which is useless. Only the new n25 band can CA (carrier aggregate) with n41 on SA, not NSA. This is very disingenuous for T-Mobile to be out touting this update while not offering it on a phone that has all these bands by default but is not being enabled by T-Mobile, especially on such a flagship phone like the S22 Ultra. What is going on? 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Are you sure it isn't enabled?  Not all bands and deployments are available in all locations.  n25 and n41 are mid-band spectrum, not UC.

Badge

Yes it's not enabled. As shows in the *#2263# menu. Only n25 NSA is an option. Incorrect, n25 and n41 are most certainly UC! Only n71 is not,as it's low band. All mid band and high band is UC. Exactly why my phone shows 5G UC in the status bar when connected to n41 NSA or SA. 

Badge

Read this... (Note, includes n25, but this page is not up to date, hence why not listed.) 

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That doesn't mention band n25.  It's sad to see T-Mobile joining in the icons mean something different for each carrier.  n25 and n41 are not capable of 1Gbps+ speeds, which used to set UC apart from mid-band that topped out in the mid 700's Mbps.  Call quality and data speeds will be better when they aren't shared though.  Stand Alone 5G might not be ready for n25 as of yet.

Badge

I already told you that this page is not up to date, hence why n25 isn't mentioned. Because it didn't even exist when this page was made. UC is accurate in describing mid band. It's not a marketing ploy (unlike the bs AT&T pulled.) You are wrong about mid band not capable of 1Gbps speeds. I have actually gotten over 1G on n41 while testing different n41 sites. I get faster speeds on n41 than I've ever seen on any mm wave site I tested. Also, TMob recently got up to 3Gbps on tests using n41+n25 with multiple CA, https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/t-mobile-tops-3-gbps-with-worlds-first-standalone-5g-carrier-aggregation-achievement

Lastly, stand alone on n25 CA with n41 is very ready and already being used. Many people in different parts of the country have already posted pics, stats, etc showing this. Some other phones can already pick up n25 SA. It's a shame what TMob is doing with the 1K+ S22 Ultra. Check out r/tmobile, r/s22Ultra, r/cellmapper on reddit. You'll learn a lot...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I h ave never seen more than 770Mbps on n41 and I travel a lot across North America.  Capable now and capable in t he future of 1Gbps are very different.  Right now, I have yet to see mid-band produce speeds anywhere close to 1Gbps but hopefully in the future.  Just because one part of the country has n25 SA doesn’t mean all of the country will or anything close to  it.  Just because it isn’t enabled on the S22’s currently doesn’t mean it won’t be.  Just because you bought a flagship device doesn’t mean you are entitled to things first.  If T-Mobile chose to hold back the release of n25 SA for the S22 series, it isn’t a big deal in my personal opinion.  It will be rolled out eventually.  

I could care less about visiting reddits.  I spend more th an enough time on XDA to know more than enough, including how to unlock all of the bands for Samsung devices.  Flashing and modifying devices is a fun hobby.  Canned environment tests used for PR don’t come close to representing what the consumer will ever see.   

Badge

I'm in Los Angeles. Have seen 1G+ downloads on quite a few n41 sites during tests. Of course, depends on congestion. I read XDA as well. Yes, I've seen how to unlock the bands via method posted on XDA. But I don't want to do that. Just like I used to flash and root my old phones. Something I refuse to do nowadays. I prefer a proper release. And yes, a flagship phone should be the first to get a lot of things. That's what we pay for. Others feel strongly the same. You don't neuter a flagship phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Lucky then.  I have never seen speeds close to half a gigabit in LA, let alone double that.  

I think the last phone I rooted was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Buying a flagship device gets you a more premium device with more features and better specs in some way or another.  In no way does it guarantee you updates or features available before other devices.  Which devices carrier aggregation updates aren’t decided on who paid more for what.  In most cases, it’s a sample size and sometimes other  devices meet that size more than the best sellers.  Even updates are usually staggered rollouts.  However, your question might be best mentioned to the Network Engineering Team.  If you reach out to Support via 611 or through the T-Force Team on Facebook or Twitter.  They can pass on your discontentment about not having n25 SA officially enabled on your device as of yet.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I h ave never seen more than 770Mbps on n41 and I travel a lot across North America.  Capable now and capable in t he future of 1Gbps are very different.  Right now, I have yet to see mid-band produce speeds anywhere close to 1Gbps but hopefully in the future.  Just because one part of the country has n25 SA doesn’t mean all of the country will or anything close to  it.  Just because it isn’t enabled on the S22’s currently doesn’t mean it won’t be.  Just because you bought a flagship device doesn’t mean you are entitled to things first.  If T-Mobile chose to hold back the release of n25 SA for the S22 series, it isn’t a big deal in my personal opinion.  It will be rolled out eventually.  

I could care less about visiting reddits.  I spend more th an enough time on XDA to know more than enough, including how to unlock all of the bands for Samsung devices.  Flashing and modifying devices is a fun hobby.  Canned environment tests used for PR don’t come close to representing what the consumer will ever see.   

You need to come out to Cali some time.  n41 SA (100+40) peaks around 1400Mbps.  n41 NSA + LTE (B2+B66) peaks here around 1900Mbps.  Looking at cellmapper, I do see a few ‘trails’ of n25.  I’m on S21, and have similar n25 NSA, not n25 SA).

In theory, the best thing that n25 can do, is fill in a lot of areas that don’t have n41 yet, but have n71.  N71 isn’t bad, but its capacity isn’t super.  B2 LTE 15x15 is similar in performance to n71 15x15 due to B2 having 4x4 MIMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

n41 NSA +LTE outdoors  vs n41 only