Question

Calls are sounding garbled and like a robot

• 16 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am in the Kansas City area.  When on calls lately I the other party sounds like a robot or else they say that I sound like one.  I know of at least 3 other people who use T-Mobile who are experiencing the same thing.  Also,  calls just drop.  When I complained to customer service they sent me a new SIM which, of course, did NOTHING. I have 2 lines on my account and we are seriously thinking of leaving T-Mobile.  Another person who is also on T-Mobile locally, is getting fed up with the service and will be leaving . I have extended family members on T-Mobile here in Kansas City who are having similar issues. I do not feel comfortable making important calls on my phone because sooner or later I will likely be dropped.

Are there others out there experiencing this?

7 replies

Yes I am experiencing weird responses from my family and random also. I hardly hear from them and now I hear from them randomly but almost in calculated moments that just being concern to my life. No big deal it’s just weird. 

Yep - can’t make or receive calls, or texts.  Phone only works if I’m on wifi.. which means I’m using my wifi just to get phone service.. So I’m paying Sprint … for what I’m not sure. 

I’ve called numerous times and Sprint just denies the issues.  Such a shitty company. 

Badge

Netflix works fine, but 1950s tech that only requires 300 bits per second of data doesn’t work. It is the same whether over WIFI or 4g. It is completely unacceptable when suddenly you can’t have a conversation with your clients. I think it is a huge class action lawsuit in the making. They are doing it on purpose to get you to buy a new phone. It tends to happen when you pay off your phone. Tech support screwed with my network settings and told me I need a need a Sim card. If the Sim card doesn’t fix it, I’m going to Verizon before I buy a new phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The 300 bits is a little in the low side. More like 7.4kbps for AMR half rate and +12 for AMR and EVR codes.  The rate isn't the problem.. the jitter is.  Unlike Netflix or YouTube,  you can't buffer a voice call.  Even live streaming has a buffer built in.

I do have a little garble, but it's typically in poor coverage areas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Google is pushing spatial audio to their phones in the January update. I haven't got my update yet but I'm curious how the call quality will be.

Badge

The workaround is to disable LTE/3g and use 2g only when making a voice call. Reenable LTE/3g when using data.

Badge

300 bps (300 baud) is the bandwidth of uncompressed plain old phone service. 300 bps is all that was needed to send all those phone calls over copper wires.