Question

device discrimination?

• 25 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

First off, T mobile is only going to be as good to you, as you are to them. Customer service at the brick & mortar stores and over the phone will give you all of the courtesy you give them, we are all human and deserve to be treated fairly. That said, I would like to ask T mobile or the community why there is a difference in how I use my data plan: I am 13 days into my cycle, and was notified I have used all of my high speed data on my hotspot, but I have not used any on my phone, so I still have 4 0r 5g high speed on that device (phone) !  I have been throttled down to 6 kbps speed, so when I use my phone to get my laptop on the internet, it is a slower connection, and my only option is to upgrade for $35 to the magenta 100 level-That costs an even $100.00 monthly.   My thoughts are that I never use my data on my phone, it is too small for me to see most of the time, and hurts my eyes after only a short time of trying no matter how I zoom and use the options to see the screen better. So I did some research and T mobile use to have binge? But it never worked. More research and there was dropping down the definition in streaming, from high or ultra high to something less, and that would reduce the data rate, but I can’t seem to promote that on the T mobile website either. This “laptop (wifi) vs phone” date usage is discriminatory, right? Technology wise, I don’t see the difference, and then there is the whole “laptop stick” that doesn’t make any sense at all. Any help from anyone???

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not all of the data your devices use is shown by those devices.  System apps, background services, and other apps do not report their usage.  

Badge

“ You’ve used 100%of smartphone mobile hotspot high speed data on your T mobile plan, your smartphone mobile hotspot speed will now be limited to 600 kbps until 10/12/2023. Data on your smartphone will still be at full speeds” This is the message sent to me by T mobile on my phone as a text. Now, tell me that they don’t choose what device to throttle down, if you will, please?

A few years back, I bought a “hotspot mobile device” that also came with unlimited high speed mobile connection via WIFI for a annual (12 months of service at a time) set price, but the “catch” was that they were unable to guarantee that the buyer would receive the entire twelve months of service, as they were unsure going in that the laws at that time would allow them to sell their allotted bandwidth, as it was subcontracted from a major carrier. Sure enough, congress passed a law making that impossible to do, it was too good for the customer and not the business or something. I received 10.5 months of really good internet using this rechargeable mobile hotspot, and since then no carrier has been able to repeat this offering. I was a AT&T customer since it was southwestern bell, and near the end they were abominable in their contract, as there was no way to ever get rid of the $10 monthly equipment fee, because someone at the FCC was getting paid off to enable them to basically charge you thousands $$ (over time) for a device (cheap modem) you could buy used on eBay for $10 - $20, and if you didn’t turn it in when you ended your service they could tack on a “penalty” costing you a couple $$ hundred more. I’m convinced that if you are mobile, and need 100 Gig of mobile high speed data to use on a laptop, there is no way you are going to achieve that for less than $100 month, from anyone. The big three carriers sue any up and coming business that tries to get under that $100 monthly threshold in America, and there is no way around it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Have you ever thought about using ‘T-Mobile Home Internet’ instead of tethering (probably cheaper than upgrading to Magenta, and can cancel it anytime, no equipment to purchase).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

what device are they discriminating against?