Solved

does domestic roaming show partner carrier

• 24 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have T-Mobile prepaid. I am in Big Sur, CA where TMobile shows its area with a partner coverage. However I have not really noticed any behavior from native. The indicator indicates I am on "T-Mobile LTE" as if I were in native coverage area. The phone I used was Pixel 6a and even had 5G in parts of Big Sur.

Therefore am I roaming or does TMobile have now native coverage there and has not updated its coverage  map yet?

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 25 July 2023, 07:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Coverage maps aren't always the most accurate things.  Especially with the integration of the Sprint Network into the T-Mobile Network.  When I roam on to US Cellular in a couple of areas in southern West Virginia.  It says US Cellular when I am connected to them under domestic roaming.  I am using an S23 Ultra but the same also happened when I was using a OnePlus 8T and OnePlus 7 Pro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Unless something has recently changed, you should be roaming on AT&T in Big Sur.

The roaming map shows ‘Partner 3G/2G’, but I’m suspect on that, as 2G was decommed a long time back for AT&T, and 3g was last year. 

Just as a side note… this past June, I did roam on AT&T (Emergency SoS) on 3G where T-Mobile has no service.  I also have a  work device that used 3G AT&T in the area.

I did go through that area +1 year ago, and roamed, but it was ~2G performance, and tethering to my work AT&T iPhone gave better performance.

Badge

Unless something has recently changed, you should be roaming on AT&T in Big Sur.

[…]

I did go through that area +1 year ago, and roamed, but it was ~2G performance, and tethering to my work AT&T iPhone gave better performance.

Interesting. Do you remember what network it said it was on? Did you get alert about domestic roaming like a text message?

I did not try to stream video but music streaming and page load on LTE over there was OK. Definietly big improvement over last time I was there on Xfinity Mobile, Google Fi or AT&T. In Nepenthe not long time ago you wouldn’t get reception and now you can! ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I typically don’t get any notifications.  I typically have cellmapper or Signal Check Pro running, and it will show the carrier at the top.  This was similar passing through Gaviota State beach on US-101, and get 2G GPRS.. oddly enough,it also ends up on Verizon SoS often near there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

[…]

Interesting. Do you remember what network it said it was on? Did you get alert about domestic roaming like a text message?

I did not try to stream video but music streaming and page load on LTE over there was OK. Definietly big improvement over last time I was there on Xfinity Mobile, Google Fi or AT&T. In Nepenthe not long time ago you wouldn’t get reception and now you can! ;)

Nenpenthe is basically getting service from the one tower in Big Sur … at Post House, for both AT&T and Verizon.  AT&T also has a site at Point Sur, and a 3G only site at Ragged Point.