Question

Does Wi-fi calling HAVE to be turned on for my phone to make calls to work?

• 7 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

My phone suddenly stopped making calls or receiving Texts. Then I chose to turn on WiFi calling and things began working.  

Should WiFi calling always be on? 

Is my phone needing to be serviced? 

I've tried understanding Troubleshooting.  A suggestion to do a Master Reset.  I can't figure out how to do that. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is your device in Airplane Mode or in an area where there is no service?  WiFi Calling is not required for your device to make and receive calls and texts.  Is your device a device purchased fr T-Mobile?  If not.  Your device needs to support T-Mobile's version of VoLTE to make and receive calls but that should not affect texts.

Badge

Phone isn't in Airplane mode. It has always  worked fine almost everywhere.  One rural location has given me challenges in the past 4 yrs. Otherwise, until just a day or 2 ago. 

When I started having issues, I started messing with my phone. I might have messed something up. 😕 

Badge

My daughter doesn't know what worked but she got it working!  We tried with wifi turned off data on and off... 

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if the tower you normally connect to is having issues then yes wifi calling (WFC) will help fix that. if your signal comes back once you leave that area then yeah its looking like a tower issue again. if signal does NOT come back then its pointing at the phone itself. one phone running into this or multiple?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

There is a preference within the Wi-Fi calling setting for wi-fi preferred, cellular preferred, or wi-fi only. If you have on one of the wi-fi options, it can lead to call failures when not connected to wi-fi or at the edge. I bet that is what your daughter was able to find and change. Glad you got it working.