Question

Effects of excess heat and 5-G connectivity/reliability

• 31 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

With what Google searches I have done, it seems millimeter wave technology not only generates lots of heat, it has a tendency to be negatively affected by high ambient temperatures.  The result for me this summer is spotty and intermittent connectivity.  The Gateway is already in the highest window at our house.  Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon?  There is plenty of summer heat ahead, it would be nice if there is something that can be done to improve this situation.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I live in the Phoenix area and haven't noticed much difference on my phone. It's been faster. This was taken near the airport outside.

Badge

Thanks for the response.  This situation affects more our laptop/desktop and video streaming experience.  Not sure if any of our cell phones even use the 5-G.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm going to ask a guy I work with, he used to work for a cable company and I think he told me the heat messes with cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just as a note to the first lines of this post… TMobile has very little mmwave technology deployed.  Almost all TMobile 5g is in the existing 4g LTE range of 600MHz,  1900MHz and 2500MHz bands.  MmWave is really short range, as it can be obstructed by almost anything.   Here in SoCal at 106F, speeds haven't changed, still in the +400Mbps on home Internet

Badge

I was told when I inquired that a T-Mobile 5-G tower was a mere 1.5 miles from my address.  It is true that there are line-of-sight issues where I live and that may contribute to my connectivity problems.  This “issue” was not an issue when we first signed up and set-up our “Gateway” only manifesting at the outset of high temperature summer weather.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I talked to my co-worker about the heat issue and he said it's from the equipment in the towers are getting baked from the heat causing  issues.

Is your gateway in full sun at your window?

Badge

Only in the morning when it is not quite so hot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried buying a cheap USB fan to circulate the air around the tower to see if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don't get issues with the Arcadyan home internet device.. ive never known it to heat up, and its right next to a window (morning sun).

I did notice that leaves on the trees between my house and the tower does make a small impact.  Since the tower is low (30-50’) at a slightly lower elevation, signal for me is straight through trees and a building