Solved

Home Internet - Requires Open Window - Unusable for multiple hours each day

Badge

Hello,

My Gateway (for home internet) now requires that the window be open in order to function. I’ve seen multiple incidences of violence outside right outside of my window, and that I have to have my window opened for the Gateway to function makes me uncomfortable.

As well, multiple times each day, the Gateway will not get a proper signal from the tower. My connectivity to my devices to the Gateway will be fine, but there will not be internet. These episodes last between 10-15 minutes and happen 5-6 times a day. 

My questions are:

1. WHY does my Gateway need the window open, and WHAT can I do to get around this?
  1. WHY does it lose signal from the tower and is there anything that can be done by either me or you to fix this?
  1. WHY were neither of these issues present during my 15-day ‘test drive’ of the Gateway, but now are?
icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 2 May 2024, 14:06

View original

4 replies

Badge

Oh, that’s what it means by ‘community’ 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have my gateway by a window also and noticed that the signal levels improve about 6 dB or so when the windows are open.  So it sounds like you have marginal signal levels and the open window helps mitigate the problem.  The best you can do is move the gateway around (sometimes even just rotating it a bit can help).  There is also the possibility of adding an external antenna...the newest gateway has a port for that, but with the older ones it’s still possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Also noting … in many areas spring/summer brings ‘leaves’ on trees.  Your signal can drop a few DB if there are trees blocking service between your device and the tower - leaves just make it a little worse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you have a device such as the newer Arcadyan G4AR/SE, you can purchase an external antenna which can mount to a window.  Similarly, Nater Tater has some Waveform antenna which also have cable which fit to window frames and can allow the cable to fit in the frame to be externally mounted.