Question

I have a Galaxy S20 FE 5G (ported from Verizon) but Wi-Fi Calling is not in the settings

• 19 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have set up the E911 address etc. for the T-Mobile Account, but I am unable to enable or utilize this option, as it does not appear in the Connections settings on the device.

Has anyone seen this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

is the phone from Verizon or did you purchase it from TMO?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply. I purchased it through Verizon, then switched to T-Mobile fairly recently.

Since making this post I called T-Mobile technical support, and they altered a flag against the IMEI (I don’t know what it actually was), and the option appeared.

Something on the T-Mobile side did not know that the device was capable of WiFi Calling, and enabling this flag told the device the option was available on the network.

Once this was done, I could then see the option in the settings and take it from there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if im thinking correctly certain types of Samsung devices (mainly the U.S variants i believe) are able to use TMOs wifi calling variant...i believe..could have sworn it was something along those lines..

@syaoran 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

WiFi Calling for Samsung devices is firmware dependent.  It doesn’t matter what carrier the device was bought from in the US, Canada, and even with some overseas models.  Verizon and AT&T use proprietary versions of WiFi Calling that is different from the stock version of Android implementation, which T-Mobile uses.  If you want WiFi Calling to work on T-Mobile for your Verizon sold Samsung device.  You are going to need to flash it to the U1 firmware, which will adapt to the SIM inserted in the device.  You can go further and flash from the U1 to the TMB U firmware to get all of the T-Mobile bloat and a couple of different service icons but ultimately, your experience on the U1 will be pretty much on par with the TMB U firmware.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

thats what it was that i was remembering..something about Samsung and the U1 firmware..at some point i’ll actually remember this lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Samsung devices hasn’t really changed since the S8’s.  Same procedure, just need the right version of ODIN, the right files, knowing your bootloader version (can’t flash older than what your device has), and having the files and drivers you need to do it.  It’s one of the few things about Samsung devices that are great.