Question

Inconsistent Speeds, Speed Dips, Resetting Gateway Helps

• 16 December 2022
  • 0 replies

Badge

Been on TM Home Internet about 6 months. Was great at first, always on, fairly good speeds, much better than our cable which went out all the time. Last couple of months speeds will slow drastically but a reset of the gateway almost always fixes it.  Here’s yesterday’s stats, tested about every 10 minutes.

35.02 down 5.28 up

22.22 down 4.97 up

17.96 down 5.17 up

11.81 down 4.98 up 

8.17 down 5.44 up

6.07 down 5.29 up

RESET

26.29 down 1.55 up

21.14 down 1.51 up 

etc…

I’ve gotten speeds as fast as 88 mbps and as low as 0.7 mps!!  I get 2-3 bars of poor-good signal strength. Have had my gateway in EVERY corner of the house aimed in all directions. I talked to customer svc. several times and all they can ever say is they are working on the towers in my area which I think is a BS excuse.  No one can explain why my speed will drop over an hour down to 1.58 mps and then as soon as I reboot my gateway it’s suddenly 38 mbps.  

I’ve notice my RSRP is always poor my SINR is ALWAYS terrible, usually 2 or 3 but often zero. 

What can I do to improve my SINR?  I’ve been watching Youtube and lot of people have success with external antennas.  Like Waveform Mimo 4x4 or Proxicast ones. We live in a geodesic dome and our windows are kind of reflective so I thought maybe that was the interference but I took the gateway outside on two sides of the house and the stats are the same. I’ve had trouble getting an answer from TM on where my tower is. 

Would an omnidirectional external antenna help? Does it have to be really high?  I don’t have the means to get on the roof.  I’m ready to build a foil hat for my gateway! HELP!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!