Solved

Larsen Bay Alaska coverage

• 18 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

My husband is fishing in Larson Bay Alaska an has no service is there anything I can purchase on TMobile to be able to communicate with him?

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 18 July 2023, 14:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Alaska coverage is provided through T-Mobile’s roaming partner.  Because of Alaska’s very rural and rugged landscape.  There might not be coverage in some areas.  Has he tried manually searching for a cellular network to connect to?  Does he have roaming enabled in the settings of his device?  If the partner network is available, having roaming on should allow his device to connect to it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Looks like none of the big 3 have service or roaming there.  Might need sat phone (iridium/starlink)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is this Larson Bay or Larsen Bay? Larson Bay is out in the middle of nowhere, even by Alaska standards. Larsen Bay should have fair coverage provided by T-Mobile’s roaming partner, GCI.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I guess the title (Larsen Bay) doesn’t match the post (Larson Bay).  Good catch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I guess the title (Larsen Bay) doesn’t match the post (Larson Bay).  Good catch.

Title says “Larsen” body says “Larson”. Alaska has one of each. Larsen Bay is a village, which is shown as covered on GCI’s map but is not shown on T-Mobile’s map.. My suggestion for the OP’s hubbie is to try to manually search for and select GCI to see what happens. Failing that ask around for local WiFi access points. Unfortunately, there appears to be no GCI store/agent in or near Larsen Bay..

P.S. This is from the Larsen Bay Lodge website:

Communication

Wifi is available in the main lodge and throughout the majority of the property. GCI is the only cell provider that is available in Larsen Bay, but most cell phones work over wifi. For example, iPhones have a “wifi calling” feature that will allow your phone to work over wifi as if it were connected to a cellular network.