Question

location issue

• 6 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

My location on my android phone and chromebook are Minnesota. 

8 replies

“It’s an artifact of the way that the Internet tries to locate devices by IP address. T-Mobile uses a single IP address for many devices, so when the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong. Some people would view this as a benefit.

So how is this a benefit? Please explain.

Also, if “the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong”, then wouldn’t you want to fix this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It is incredibly annoying to go online to shop for something only to see adds from Minneapolis Mn. when I live almost 300 miles south in IL. Yes I know I can request items near my zip. I had to call my streaming service to tell them that I don’t care to see Mn. news and advertisements. Is there any way to fix it at my end?    

is it only happening while connected to wifi or to mobile data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m in Iowa. Problem is, my location is wrong on my chromebook too. For example if I want to find mexican restaurants, it will show ones in Minnesota

Then don’t use location when searching for things and just type in your zipcode instead.  It takes all of 3 seconds.  

It is incredibly annoying to go online to shop for something only to see adds from Minneapolis Mn. when I live almost 300 miles south in IL. Yes I know I can request items near my zip. I had to call my streaming service to tell them that I don’t care to see Mn. news and advertisements. Is there any way to fix it at my end?    

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My Cox internet I use on wifi also shows me in LA.on my Surface.

Badge

I’m in Iowa. Problem is, my location is wrong on my chromebook too. For example if I want to find mexican restaurants, it will show ones in Minnesota

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Anything against Minnesota, other than it being cold as all getout? It’s an artifact of the way that the Internet tries to locate devices by IP address. T-Mobile uses a single IP address for many devices, so when the Internet tries to guess your location, it guesses wrong. Some people would view this as a benefit. How would you expect Internet addresses for mobile devices to work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What location are you at?

I live in Phoenix area and some sites think that I'm in LA.