Question

MOBILE HOTSPOT VS HOME INTERNET

• 3 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Why is my mobile hotspot speeds way faster than my home internet speeds? i need the antenna my phone uses in my home internet box lol! My phone is always on 5g but my home internet grabs at the 4g signal im guessing because its stronger? is there anyway i can make it connect to the 5g one everytime? when it does connect to the 5g signal (and the connection bars are maybe 2-4 bars, never full) it gets amazing speeds (100+ mbps down 60+ up) but when its connected to the 4g (full bars) its so freaking slow. Can anyone help? My phone is literally sitting beside the modem picking up 50+ mbps while the modem is barely geting 4 mbps. (of course unless it connects to the 5g network then its fine) 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Depending on the device,  you may end up on 5g n71 vs n41.  Similarly,  the antenna are not the best on certain models.  Eg.  Arcadyan kvd21 typically runs worse than my S23, while newer model g4se runs better. And faster.   If 5g is weak in your area, you'll end up on lte.  When i first got service,  my device would attempt to cling onto n71 from a tower +1 mile away, and service was worse that lte alone