Question

Modernization speeds all over the place

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Hi,

We live in a rural area and rarely get over 2 bars of cell service on LTE with download speeds MAYBE as good as 15mbps. 

Recently, things got worse and our bars have been dropping to nothing, or 1 bar, with speeds of under 1mbps.

I called T-Mobile and was told that they were doing Modernization of the towers and that it should be done within a few days. 

Fast forward to today (a week later) speeds were still bad until this morning when I woke up to 2 bars of 5G with download speeds of over 100mbps! To my delight, I thought we were getting somewhere and that T-Mobile had finally delivered on the promise they made over a year ago that things were being upgraded and improved. 

That lasted for approximately 1 hour, then we dropped off the face of the earth again, back down to record low, unusable LTE speeds of less than 1mbps.

My question is, obviously we now know we are capable of receiving 5G and super good speeds, but my worry is that this happened by accident or some fluke and we won’t be getting anywhere near this once modernization is complete.

Any insight into how this modernization works, the technical side of these things, or if we should hold our breath would be great. 

As I’m writing this, I now have 1 bar of 5G  back and getting 70.5 mbps down!  Please Lord, please let this hold!  

Hubby and I have been working from home for the last year with terrible speeds, and have been praying for a solution this whole time.

Thanks for any insight!

1. McMurray

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if theyre still upgrading the towers out there odds are you’ll be seeing 5G spring back up numerous times while they are testing until they are finally finished..and then its fully lit up..hopefully they just light the tower up and let it do its thing and not shut most of it back down until they get a certain number of towers completed before they light them up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As a note...in some areas where I am, service was roaming on Sprint, decently (+200Mbps on LTE B41).  When T-Mobile went to ‘modernize’ the tower (i.e. replace old Sprint gear with T-Mobile gear), service dropped a few bars, but still showed 5G UC, however speeds were around 1 Mbps, with 75% packet loss.  T-Mobile Advanced Technical support didn’t have any knowledge.

3 weeks later, after the tower was 5G UC, and speeds are now ~1400Mbps.

In more rural locations (a few miles north), similarly roaming on Sprint, until they started rebuilding the site.  Again, T-Mobile has no knowledge of their rebuild.  Unlike the other Sprint site… T-Mobile native gives LTE 600, 3g or 2g service with 1 bar in ‘good’ outdoor locations, or .. No Service.

Again, 3 weeks later, its up and +1400Mbps.  T-Mobile is now telling me that they’re building a ‘new site’ which should be completed in 9 months 🙄