Question

My signal from the tower(s) fluctuates & Causes significant Buffering

• 8 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I live in a ground floor apartment. I have my T-Mobile gateway located in the only place in my apartment where I can get 4/5 bars. As long as the gateway remains at 4/5 bars my 3 devices (2 fire TVs & laptop) have no problems. However my problem lies in the fact that 4/5 bars fluctuates daily from 4/5 down to 3/5 down to 2/5 and even completely loses the signal from time to time. My tvs buffer frequently and its become very aggravating. I've never achieved 5/5 bars and cannot seem to hold 4/5 bars consistently. And the fluctuation can occur any time of day or night. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I cannot predict when it's going to happen. I'm am old timer that recently cut the cable cord but I'm afraid im in over my head trying to bring issues such as this to resolution; especially if there's going to be significant cost involved. When I used the mapper I noticed that I have 3 different towers relatively close to me. Which makes me think perhaps my signal is jumping from tower to tower??? I don't know. I could certainly use HELP understanding what's actually occurring and how to remedy without being forced to spend a bunch of money to do so. THANKING THE COMMUNITY IN ADVANCE FOR ASSISTANCE. Don S. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Using the ‘More → Advanced Cellular Metrics’, please post the LTE CQI, RSRQ, RSRP, SINR and BAND values.  Then tab to 5G RSRQ, RSRP, SINR and BAND info as well.

If your values (BAND and CGI under LTE, and BAND under 5G) change, then you could be jumping between towers.

If you have the Arcadyan g4AR/g4SE , it can be directional using internal antenna (back of modem towards tower).  KVD-21 was ~30-40 degree left (counter clockwise of front panel) for me.

Badge

The Band & CGI under LTE changed from Band of B2 to B66 and the CGI changed from 14 when the Band was B2 to 7 when the Band changed to B66.

When the Band was at B2 then

RSRQ -11

RSRP -93

SINR 8

When the Band was B66 then

RSRQ -13

RSRP -94

SINR continues to change from 8 to 6.4 to 4.4 and so forth

The 5G Band remained at N71 

RSRQ -14

RSRP -98

SINR 40

Badge

My Gateway model is FAST 5688W

Badge

When my TV starts to buffer again should I check the 5G metrics to see if the Band has changed?