Question

New ASUS Zenfone 8 Flip has terrible service (-100 dBm), any solutions?

• 31 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

So I recently picked up a Zenfone 8 flip and have been trying to use it in the US. I’m in the middle of Philadelphia where the coverage map is great, but have had terrible service with calls constantly distorted or dropping and a signal strength usually worse than -100 dBm. 

Any ideas on what could be done to make it at least somewhat usable so I’m not out $600?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

is it able to use all the bands TMO uses? it could be lacking one of their primary bands used.

Badge

I’m not sure where to see which bands the device uses, but it is an Asus Zenfone 8 Flip, 256 GB, Model: ASUS_I004D

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network#frequencies

the frequencies TMO uses.

@syaoran  any thoughts on this one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It has a lot of the right bands for service.  My guess is that it does not support VoLTE and is falling back on to 3G service that has not been taken down yet in Philly.  I travel through Philly often and have never had anything but excellent service in and around the city with my T-Mobile OnePlus 8T+ 5ZG.  

Asus Zenfone 8 Flip - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

just jumped out of editing and tagging you into here lol

Badge

As another note that might be important to mention, I previously had the Zenfone 6, and the Zenfone 3 Deluxe in the city. Both of them had excellent service at all times. Now I purchased the Zenfone 8 Flip and have been able to get through any phone calls without interruption due to poor service.