Question

next to no sinal at my home after 5g upflgrade my old 4g phone worked great.

Badge

less signal at my home adter 5G.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

did you get a new 5G sim card to go into your phone or did you swap the old 4G sim card into the new 5G capable phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Different devices handle signal differently.  As an example.  My OnePlus 8T+ 5G gets 2 more bars and -12dB better in signal than my Samsung s23 Ultra in the same place.  iPhone's, especially the 10 through 12 have much weaker signal due to the radio used in them compared to newer models 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As Syaoran has mentioned .. 5G vs 4G ‘representation’ on your device and usefulness are 2 different things.

1.  You may be connecting to midband 5G vs. lowband LTE 
  2. Weak 5G throughput is typically higher than 4G LTE (when on the same band/capacity).
  3. Higher order of modulation (more data/MHz)  require cleaner signal, meaning range will be lower.  

People will often notice a few things if they were to go to … midband , specifically 2500MHz.

NOTE:  Many devices will typically NOT connect to LTE B41 unless B2/B66/B12/B71 are under a lot of load, and B41 is not.

With 5G, n41 (2500MHz) it is quite weak for building/wall penetration (i.e. you will lose a lot of signal from outdoor to indoor).  Much of my home n41 ends up with weak to no-service, however…

With 1-2 bars of n41 (-112dBm) , I’m hitting +350Mbps.

By default, my phone will attempt to be on n41 SA or LTE + n41 NSA, giving at best 3 bars.  Forcing to another band will give me ‘more bars’, but less throughput.