Question

NO INTERNET after converting to 5G

• 10 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I bought a new iphone13 from T-Mobile and I could not get any internet all around my neighborhood in Los Angeles County even thought their coverage map shows full coverage.  T-Mobile tech support could not solve the issue and finally sent me a replacement phone.  That replacement phone had the exact same issue and after much time with tech support T-Mobile admitted this was an issue on their part and a supervisor would call me back the next day.  I have never received that call and I have reached out numerous times and finally told them to return my old iphone SE which they said they would do within 24-48 hours but they never did.  I’ve reached out to them several more times but am all but ignored.  Why would 5G cause a worse connection than 4G?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I bought a new iphone13 from T-Mobile and I could not get any internet all around my neighborhood in Los Angeles County even thought their coverage map shows full coverage ... finally told them to return my old iphone SE.

Appears some iPhones have a problem with 5G.  Don’t know why.

You can have your iPhone 13 simulate your old iPhone SE, by selecting 4G LTE only in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I bought a new iphone13 from T-Mobile and I could not get any internet all around my neighborhood in Los Angeles County even thought their coverage map shows full coverage.  T-Mobile tech support could not solve the issue and finally sent me a replacement phone.  That replacement phone had the exact same issue and after much time with tech support T-Mobile admitted this was an issue on their part and a supervisor would call me back the next day.  I have never received that call and I have reached out numerous times and finally told them to return my old iphone SE which they said they would do within 24-48 hours but they never did.  I’ve reached out to them several more times but am all but ignored.  Why would 5G cause a worse connection than 4G?

Your old phone is probably gone and they won’t be able to return it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Where in Los Angeles County ?

I suspect that the issue is typically the n71 issue.  5G N71 is probably on ~¼ to 1/8 cell sites, typically only large/macro sites.  n41 is on a similar number, possibly more in the city.  LTE is on… all that you have service on.

What occurs (from what I’ve seen), is that you end up with one of a few screnarios:

1. LTE only.  This will give you B2/B4 and B12/B71 service.  Most often B2/B4/B12.  This can be ‘meh’ to very good.  In some locations you may currently end up on B41
  2. LTE + 5G extended.  This is a decent set up in rural areas.  Devices where the cell towers ALL have 5G extended - you’ll have B2/B4 + n71  (no, B12/B71 won’t work - is an either or).  If 5G extended is weak (i.e. from a different tower), it will drag your performance down … A LOT.
  3. 5G n71 SA.  This does work, but is similar to LTE + 5G .. without LTE.  Its either good (esp in rural areas), or not, typically in urban.
  4. LTE + 5G UC.  This is a GOOD setup.  5G UC is a bit weaker than B2/B4 LTE, so you’ll have LTE .. or LTE +n41 NSA.  Speeds will be impressive while in this mode.
  5. 5G n41 SA.  I’ve only seen this in DTLA, it works very fast, but these are currently islands of service. 

If you’re in rural, or ‘the Valley’, you’ll be seeing much of LTE + 5G extended, sadly.

Since I have a Samsung, I’m able to disable n71 and not deal with it.