Question

not receiving texts from Italy

Badge

I am trying to set up an account for the TABNET app, but am unable to receive the verification text. TABNET is an Italian app for purchasing bus fare in Tuscany and Lazio.  It is widely used and important to have when traveling off the tourist trail where bus tickets are more difficult to purchase. I spent an hour with two TMobile techs who assured me that the issue was with TABNET and not TMobile. I checked with other TABNET users who have different carriers and they all set up accounts with ease. Guess I’ll have to change carriers to make this work?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you also contacted TABNET developers to see if its an actual known issue with TMO only?

Badge

I contacted TABNET and received a “canned” response that my problem was an issue with my carrier (not TMobile specifically). Then I hopped on my international travel FB group and asked others to relate their experiences with TABNET registration. Everyone who responded said they had no trouble — none of them were TMobile users. Based on what I’ve read in this forum, TMobile has a serious problem with international carriers not being able to get SMS texts to TMobile clients.  

I'm having the same problem with the TabNet registration and found this thread researching it. Was wondering if it will work when I get to Italy but don't want to wait for that.

Have you made any progress? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How do you enter your phone number (what format) when setting up the TABNET account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In most cases, these types of apps cannot send verification text or code to international numbers.  That is not T-Mobile’s fault.  This is to prevent international fraud. 

If you translate the TabNet registration screen, it says to enter international numbers starting with 00 followed by the country code and number. Presumably because they have made this instruction, they believe they can send it to an international number. Granted, that might be easier for EU numbers vs other countries.

I also tried to register with my Google Voice number and that didn't work either so I agree this may be more of a USA issue vs TMo. 

I sent them a support inquiry in Italian and will report back if I find anything else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Numbers for North America are 01, not 00.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you translate the TabNet registration screen, it says to enter international numbers starting with 00 followed by the country code and number. 

So you entered 001<10-digit number>?

I downloaded the TABNET app and attempted to register using both my T-Mobile number and my GV number. Neither worked. The app does not permit number entry in plus format. Only digits are allowed. 

If you translate the TabNet registration screen, it says to enter international numbers starting with 00 followed by the country code and number. 

Correct - TabNet app doesn’t accept + and the instructions clearly state (in Italian) to enter international numbers by starting with 00 followed by the country code, which is 1 (not 01, as was stated in another message), so 001<10-digit number>. 

This is the proper way to dial internationally from Europe (Italy in this case). 00 or + followed by the country code (1 for USA) and the 10-digit number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Correct - TabNet app doesn’t accept + and the instructions clearly state (in Italian) to enter international numbers by starting with 00 followed by the country code, which is 1 (not 01, as was stated in another message), so 001<10-digit number>. 

This is the proper way to dial internationally from Europe (Italy in this case). 00 or + followed by the country code (1 for USA) and the 10-digit number.

I attempted to register using both my T-Mobile and GV numbers. Neither worked. I assume there’s something wrong with TABNET’s SMS sending system. I don’t think I have a working Eu SIM.

I sent a complaint to their “Contact Us” system.

I attempted to register using both my T-Mobile and GV numbers. Neither worked. I assume there’s something wrong with TABNET’s SMS sending system. I don’t think I have a working Eu SIM.

Yep - did the same thing and reached the same conclusion. Regardless, if I learn something from TabNet directly I’ll report back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I sent a complaint to their “Contact Us” system.

Ciao,
purtroppo la mancata ricezione dell'SMS di verifica non dipende da noi, lato nostro dei sistemi l'invio viene effettuato regolarmente e consegnato al gestore di rete, potrebbe quindi dipendere da vari fattori esterni: potrebbe dipendere dal gestore di rete nazionale che non riesce ad inviare l’SMS, oppure dal gestore di rete telefonica estera che non inoltra, per svariati motivi, al destinatario l'SMS di verifica.
Saluti

Google translation:

Hello,
unfortunately the failure to receive the verification SMS does not depend on us, on our side of the systems the sending is carried out regularly and delivered to the network operator, it could therefore depend on various external factors: it could depend on the national network operator who is unable to send the SMS, or from the foreign telephone network operator who, for various reasons, does not forward the verification SMS to the recipient.
Greetings

In other words, we don’t have a clue.

Same response here. Sigh

Badge

Thanks for the replies.  I downloaded TabNet at the airport in Florence as directed by the bus information people.  I was unable to create an account because I could not receive the confirmation text.   I have tried both 001 and 0001 followed by my area code with no luck.  I’ve also gone back to TMobile tech help with no luck.  This is frustrating.   I will be back in Italy in May and will try again to register with TabNet.  I’ll let you know if I have any luck.