Solved

Phone calls between 2 people aboard ship over Wi-Fi

• 22 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Phone calling between my wife & I aboard ship at sea using the ships Wi-Fi (Princess Ship), if that’s possible how’s it done in detail please.

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 25 September 2023, 05:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you’ll have to pay for the ships calls/data...which will be crazy pricey. if you can avoid using anything linked to the ship it’ll save on your wallet. try to avoid using the phones while near the ship since you can connect to it and in turn get billed.

Badge

We have the ships Wi-Fi package already, it was free, part of a package perk. So if we have the ships Wi-Fi can we call each other while out at sea using the Wi-Fi ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

using wifi calling i would think so..one sec. i’ll tag someone in here that might know

@drnewcomb 

Badge

Ok, thank you.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Princess WiFi isn’t bad (actually heavily promoted these days).

I would HIGHLY recommend that before you get on the ship that you 

1. Disable data roaming
  2. Disable cellular service

You do NOT want to pick up ship based 4G LTE ($$$$).  WiFi is much less expensive by comparison.

Ship based WiFi works just like any other.  I have used it ‘freely’ in the past (didn’t pay for service, or sign up - works similar to airplane wifi - ship based walled garden until to pay for service, then you have access to other services)

Oddly enough, certain features (Google Maps) still worked in the middle of the Pacific w/o an account - with live updates to traffic.

Just like airplane wifi, some Internet features may be unusable - especially those that are high bandwidth.   I suspect that phone ‘should’ work, but may be sketchy based on lag (satellite latency).  Text should work fine.