Solved

Recently Losing Reception in a Highrise Building near NYC

• 20 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi - we live on the 40th-ish floor of an apartment near NYC (tallest building in the area). We just noticed a couple of weeks ago that we regularly have zero reception bars in our apartment. We’ve lived in our apartment for 3 years and this is a recent issue. We utilize wifi calling so it hasn’t caused any problems yet but worried what would happen if the wifi were down. We’ve called support and tried restarting our phone. The phone works fine in the lobby. Switching 5G off doesn’t appear to help either. Any thoughts or recourse?

Thanks all for your help.

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 23 November 2023, 18:19

View original

6 replies

Badge

What phone, if its an Android phone, did it start after the October update?

Badge

Hi - all of us have various models of iPhones. I’m not sure when specific updates were but this change happened recently (within the last month or so).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I suspect that you’re “above” the cell transmitters in general.  Most are probably not much higher than a 3rd floor in NYC.  Similarly, most are probably pointing ‘down’.  This effectively gives a dead area 

Badge

Is that a recent change? We didn’t have any issues for more than 3 years until a few weeks ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sounds more like a local antenna issue then.  I’d recommend filing a ticket with T-Mobile technical team.

I live in Kansas City Missouri and I have Tmobile 5g on my phone and my home internet. I live on the 3rd floor if I leave my apartment I no longer have internet on my phone. How does that work?