Solved

Router suggestions for adding to the 5G gateway

• 30 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Wondering what anyone who has added their own router to the 5G gateway have gone with. I want to be able to adjust the packet size and am looking to lower latency. I mean, I have really good latency at the moment, but do notic sometimes when streaming NetFlix or whatever, there is some “skips”? in the audio. Just like a 1/10th of a second little blips but definitely noticeable. 

I’m no pro but I’m pretty sure I want OpenWRT with the ability to run SQM and at a minimum, be bale to dictate my packet size. 

Also would like to not have to break the bank. 

icon

Best answer by dankehoe1 7 September 2023, 22:37

View original

7 replies

Badge

Awesome. Great forum. 

I myself have added my dplink Archer AX1500 (one mesh/wi-fi6 router) which has tri-core cpu, gigabyte lan/wan ports, beam forming wi-fi, ect, and have pretty decent experience with it, keeping the same speed results during speed tests with  fast.com, speakeasy.com/speed test, internet frog, and Ookla speed tests that i did while directly connected to the t-mobile gateway itself (yes various tests were performed while connected with both lan-ethernet, and wi-fi type connections) dp link routers have always been pretty good to me, and it has all the functions and settings that have been requested here in the forums, and then some! just a suggestion, I've been a computer technician for over 20 years and boast a cisco networking certification, and have had experience with a plethora of different brands of routers, and dplink has by far been the best brand to me (using the web or app gui user friendliness, and controllability, and performance/reliability factors all used as a basis, so not really a suggestion based on bias, but rather from a lengthy experience based point of view, hope that's helpful, their routers are actually pretty affordable too!

For what it is worth, I have not found a way to disable the router from T-mobile or to put it into bridge mode.   Connecting a router to a router is fine as far as it goes, but it can cause NAT issues and it can cause IPV6 issues.   Also, the radios are not turned off, so you do have interference from the frequencies they are running on.   Luckily, the radios on the T-mobile unit are not very powerful and have a very limited range.

There are no options that I have found to actually control the radios to be able to turn them off.  You can the SSID, but that does NOT turn the radios off, it only hides them.

Later,

Ralphfur

Winchester, OR

Badge

You can disable the WiFi with a script in the Powershell from a Windows PC or with an Android App. Just Goggle...

Sorry, your response is short.   Stops at just google.   What specifically am I googling and does it cover Apple as well?   I stopped using Windows based systems years ago.   Also, are you using one of the older systems with allows access to the GUI of the router?   The GUI on this one does NOT allow any access.   Just presents you with a pretty picture telling you about the wonderful functionality of their app.

Thanks!

Ralphfur

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Ralphfur, in the Google Play store look for the Hint Control app.  In the app go to the “Wi-Fi” tab to turn off the wireless.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hint+control&c=apps

THANKS!!!!

Later,

ralphfur

Winchester, OR