S22 Ultra & Wifi Calling Doesn't Work Correctly

• 5 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was using an S21+ on T-Mobile using Wi-Fi calling preferred for over a year very successfully.  I purchased an S22 Ultra and turned on Wi-Fi preferred. 

Here is what I’ve experienced.  In about 65% of my calls the first 5 seconds to a minute are VERY, V--E---R---Y   S---L---O--W.  Speech is slowed down very significantly and shifted dramatically to the base side.  This makes interacting with commercial phone response systems difficult to impossible.  This happens even calling T-Mobile 611/customer service.

After this first period wi-fil calling seems to settle down and work correctly.  IF you can get past the problem portion of the call.

Again, this problem NEVER happened with the S21. 

I don’t know if this is a Samsung issue or a T-Mobile issue.  If this happens to you please report it and request a trouble ticket number.  If enough people report it maybe the problem will be corrected.

8 replies

I have the same issue but I'm on ATT. Also, didn't have the issue with my s20 ultra. I did switch to using a mesh wifi network around the same time but I think my old phone worked fine with it.

Hopefully it's a software issue and can be fixed with a future update.

I'm having the same issue and did not have a problem withy previous Samsung.

Same issue here. Really frustrating

I'm having the same issue and did not have a problem withy previous Samsung.

Just an update, I called and spoke to support. They are supposed to be monitoring signals on my wifi calls for the next three days. They also said to make sure I go and get a new sim card because my new phone didn’t come with one. 

Badge

Also having the exact same issue. I switched to a brand new SIM in case that had something to do with it, but the problem persists. My neighborhood is a dead zone for T-mobile (and ATT...), so wifi calling is critical for me.

Hoping this can get resolved sometime relatively soon!

Userlevel 1
Badge

After hours on the phone with tech support they suggested using a Cell Spot pico cell.  Yeah, that didn't work either.   Of course all that does is convert a cell signal to what I guess is the equivalent of a wifi call.   Still I had to try it.

I'd suspect some sort of weird problem on my LAN if I didn't know that the only thing has changed is the phone.

The same goes for suspecting an issue with the tm wifi calling hardware/software on their servers.   If the S21 worked the S22 should work the same or better.  Not!

Userlevel 1
Badge

More information -- I got a call back from Tech Support and their trouble ticket related to this issue.  Basically, TM knows that there is a problem.  They are “working on it”. They have no idea when the issue will be resolved.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yesterday I downloaded a new S22 firmware version.  It appears that this firmware (or possibly this in combination with a fix on the T-Mobile servers) have fixed the issue with Wi-Fi calling. 

The previous issues with S L O W speech at the beginning of calls seem to have gone away.  In addition, the remainder of the call seems to be much, much clearer.  I no longer have very static laden Wi-Fi calls.  Instead the calls seem to be crystal clear as they should have been all along.

I am still not 100% convinced that the problem is gone for good (it was always somewhat intermittent), but so far so good.  I am encouraged by the quality of the calls.

Note that the change list from the Samsung firmware update did not list this fix as a part of the changes.  Perhaps they were just embarrassed.