Solved

Samsung Gear S2

• 28 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Does T-Mobile still support 2G 3G data and calling as a standalone device on the Gear S2 watch?  I am activating a new one and it is activated but I am unable to make calls.  “Emergency Calls only” I am also getting network incompatibility but it is a T-Mobile device.  Is this NEW old watch dead?

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 31 January 2023, 00:36

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its still supported currently but they are shutting it down here soon. unless a device has 4G and VoLTE capabilities they wont let it onto their network now.

Badge

Thanks for the info.  Would you have any idea why the watch took all of the information from the network for example the watch had no phone number assigned it said “unknown” and after it was activated it had the phone number in its settings.  It lets me turn on mobile data and data roaming but when disconnected from bluetooth and my phone it says, “Emergency calls only” T-Mobile said they have it marked as activated but also “Network Incompatibility” Can the eSIM only work partially or can this be rectified?

Thank you for any other information you could provide.  I would like to get this working even if for a brief period of time.  Otherwise, I must move fast to return it.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you will unfortunately have to contact TMO for any questions on this one. i have a feeling its technically incompatible due to the lack of VoLTE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @EJoSoFTL Smartwatches are a great alternative to carrying around a cell phone. Unfortnately, the Gear S2 is not compatible with your network. When you activate the device, it can get a basic connection to the network to pull the information like its phone number. In order for any device to be able to make calls on T-Mobile’s network, it has to be VoLTE compatible and the Gear S2 is not. The earliest Samsung watch that I am seeing was VoLTE compatible is the Samsung Galaxy Watch3.

Hope this helps

Badge

Thank you for the information.  My original Gear S2 that I purchased through T-Mobile when it was first released was able to act as a phone when I did not have my phone on me.  I used this constantly when going to the gym or out to exercise or walk my dog.  The Wearable software on my phone had an option to automatically forward to the watch when the phone was out of distance. I still have that watch and the software (app) still shows this option for the original S2.  I unfortunately damaged the connection to the sim or antenna when I replaced the battery and that was the end of that.  I have three newer watches and they are tied to my original S2 plan so I can’t have them ring when the phone isn’t with me like the newer wearable plans work.  I would have to upgrade my phone plan and I am grandfathered to a fantastic plan so this isn’t an option. It’s frustrating, that’s why I was hopeful with this “NEW” S2 that I found.

Thanks for listening to the rant.  I guess I’ll have to return it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I love to hear that you got some great use out of the standalone capabilities of the Watches. When the Gear S2 came out, it was capable of making and receiving calls on 3G without the phone around. Recently, T-Mobile retired the 3G network so now all calls go over VoLTE. Since the Gear S2 used 3G to make calls and is not capable of using VoLTE, those watches are no longer able to connect calls without the phone. 

I am not quite sure what you mean by “I have three newer watches and they are tied to my original S2 plan so I can’t have them ring when the phone isn’t with me like the newer wearable plans work.” Each watch needs its own watch line on the account, but I think you can link multiple watch lines to one phone line. To my knowledge, all of the watch plans should have the ability to ring the watch when the phone is not around; even the old plans. I don’t have account access here on the Community, so can you tell me the name of the watch plan that you have on your account? I want to make sure that I double check the details and features of the plans so I can get you the right information and you don’t have to change your fantastic plan. You should return the “new” S2 that you have, because it is not going to do what you are looking for, but as long as your plan is good, it is not hopeless. 

Badge

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me.  The newer watches use a newer upgraded plan. They call them digits or magenta I can’t remember.  These plans ring on the phone and the watch at the same time.  The watch will ring even if you are out of range of your phone.  These plans are not compatible with my old phone plan so I would have to upgrade to a $15 dollar plan for each watch and change my phone plan to a newer “Magenta” plan.  I currently pay $20 dollars for four watches.  The new plan would cost me $60 dollars for four watches.  This is just too much. I know just use one watch…..I don’t wear the same watch every day.

Thanks again for your help and info.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That makes more sense and I appreciate you explaining what you mean. You could get a Samsung Galaxy Watch3 or newer and add it to one of your existing watch lines. If you have to add a new line for the new watch, then you would have to go through a plan change. 

I am so glad we were able to talk it out and understand the situation better. Have a great day :D 

Badge

Thank you for all your assistance, it was incredibly helpful.

I already have the Galaxy Watch, Active 2 and Watch 4.  I was allowed to add them all to my grandfathered watch plan.  I just don’t have the same functionality as I would if I upgraded my phone and watch plan.  Its ok.  Now that I understand I can let it go.

Thanks again.