Question

Sending/receiving MMS not working over WiFi

• 14 November 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

I just switched to T-Mobile (October 2023) and I cant send or receive MMS/group text messages over WiFi.

My WiFi has to be OFF and mobile data turned ON for me to send/receive MMS group text messages. (no other combination of the two work other than that)

Never had a problem with this on Verizon!

And everything i’ve read so far says this is still a persistent issue (I remember i had this issue on t-mobile back in 2013).

I’ve been using Samsung S series devices. Currently on my Note10.

Is there a fix for this?

Why is this still an issue?

Seriously considering switching back to Verizon.

9 replies

Did you ever get this resolved? I just switched and I am having the same issue. Spent hours in stores and on the phone to try to resolve! No one can help me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you just switched from another carrier usually its due to your info still being in their system. its actually brought up with V pretty often in here..you’ll need to contact V and there is some reset or clearing they must do on their end to clear your number from their system.

Badge

Still not resolved. T-Mobile said they would call me back with an update - they never did. Everything i read on other forums says T-Mobile never supported this. 

Plus IDK what “contact V” and “contact TMO” mean. Im not familiar with whatever acronyms those are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

shouldnt be to hard..V would be the carrier you used to be with...TMO should be obvious.

out of curiosity...mind posting a link to whatever youre reading that says TMO never supported wifi calling?

oh and your current phone..did you buy it from TMO or are you using the one you brought with you from V?

Badge

Never heard anyone use those acronyms before, SMH.

Reddit forums and android central mostly. Plus many other community posts on this forum here as well.

I brought my phone completely unlocked from amazon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

TMOs wifi calling doesnt work with unlocked phones or phones from other carriers if im remembering right..

@syaoran . am i thinking correctly with this one..TMOs WFC only works with TMO devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

TMOs wifi calling doesnt work with unlocked phones or phones from other carriers if im remembering right..

@syaoran. am i thinking correctly with this one..TMOs WFC only works with TMO devices?

It depends.  Unlocked non-carrier specific unlocked phones that are US models should work.  Other carrier phones, like Verizon and AT&T use carrier specific implementations of WiFi Calling that are not a part of stock Android and not compatible with T-Mobile's WiFi Calling.

Badge

I’ve had no problems using WiFi Calling on my phone (Galaxy Note 10 with T-Mobile). That being said, i had turned it off after reading a suggestion somewhere that that may be one of the remedies to this MMS problem, but i havent noticed a difference.

Like many of the others on this thread, I bought my Kyocera flip phone in 2022 when we were with Verizon.  It is paid and unlocked.  December 2023 we switched to t mobile.  I am not able to open any MMS texts.  over the past 2 weeks, I was on the phone, chat and in stores with various t mobile, verizon and kyocera techs.  We changed settings, checked networks, considered resetting etc, and finally the Kyocera rep explained that Verizon removes a MMS feature when you leave and I guess t mobile does not use it.  So, we have to buy a new t mobile phone….  

I also just discovered that I cannot retrieve any of my voicemails and cannot set up my voicemail.  

I also found that t mobile charges for an outgoing conference call that was always free with Verizon

Like the other customer, I am ready to switch back to Verizon but my husband gets better reception on his phone from t mobile.  

If they want Verizon business, T mobile should offer to replace my phone with one that works in their system.