Solved

Signal cuts out and we never have more than 2 bars how can we get a better signal?

• 17 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

We live in a semi rural area where T-Mobile Home Internet is one of our only options. We never have more than 2 bars on our gateway, but it still works ok. However, several times a day we get interruptions where a video buffers on YouTube, Zoom meetings freeze, etc. Does any piece of equipment exist to boost the signal to our home from the closest tower, which we are told is too far to give us more than 2 bars? We tried putting all our phones on the cell signal and get them off WiFi but it didn’t make a difference. Gateway device is up high by a window on an upper floor of our home. 

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 21 April 2024, 18:47

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you can … try to get a T-MObile G4AR/SE model of home internet gateway.  It has an external port for an external antenna.  I’d recommend watching the ‘Nater Tater’ YouTube channel for info.  An external directional antenna can do a lot.

Badge

Thanks!

Badge

The new device is on its way going to watch the YouTube channel now. Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Before you.splurge.on an antenna, try aiming the ‘back’ of your device (g4ar/se) towards the antenna.  This device shows slightly better reading,  but more importantly,  better performance.   Typically was ‘good’, and if open window , often ‘very good’ on the old device (350-400Mbps.closed,.400-+500Mbps open) on download upload 15-20 to 20-40Mbps.   Newer device, 400-500 down, 500-+700 with window open.  upload 35-40 to 70-90Mbps.  Almost alwsys ‘very good’ to few times ‘excellent ‘   i am only ¼ mile from.tower

Badge

Thanks for the advice, found Nater Tater on You Tube too. We’re going to set up the new tower and see how it works before we spend any $$ on an antenna. We have to get a new line number and close the old one. I guess they don’t like giving existing customers new stuff, everyone would ask if they did. They assured me it would not cost more I asked several times and I have it in writing. Thanks again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I just went into the store, and exchanged mine for the newer model.  I was told that I’m not supposed to, but the manager did it for me.  You are correct in that they would prefer to use up exiting vs. new.  The problem lies in that if you have poor service, and ‘new’ with access to antenna ports will fix the issue .. wouldn’t they prefer to have customers using it vs cancelling it ?

Badge

Yes. Although if we had a better option we would have chosen it by now. The last person (before the one who made the exchange) I chatted with actually told me there was nothing they could do and we would just have to live with it. I’m not sure how far we are from the nearest tower. Going to get on chat now to get the new one up and running. I think it may be different than just switching the SIM card, we are getting a new number for that line. If it works without the signal cutting out all the time, we may not need an antenna. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Depending on distance/intereference/signal, you ‘may’ still need one, but now you have legit ability to add one.  I’ve been fortunate with my location, that I’m near a site (effectively same elevation as my home, which means through trees/buildings (1) and anything else.  You’d be surprised what a few feet of distance/rotation can do  (reminds me of old analog TV and rabbit ear adjustment … and an external rooftop antenna).

Nater Tater shows just how much.

Badge

We now have 3 bars with the internal antenna. So far no interruptions but it’s only been a half hour. I will see how it is when my kids get home. Right now it’s just my phone, hubby’s phone and my laptop. I found out I am 1.3 miles from the nearest tower SW of my house.