Solved

signal quality and bandwidth

• 6 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Okay here's a head scratcher for you guys since I've got this internet okay I've only been able to get three bars never anything more and to top it all off I've never been over three and a half four and a half megs per second during the daytime but yet at night it automatically jumps up to about 25 to 35 megs per second and then when the sun comes up it drops back down to 1.3 to 2.3 so I started kind of paying attention to the times now about 8:00 9:00 in the morning the bandwidth drops to below five megs and will not go higher all day after 10:00 it jumps up to about 25

and 35 I called T-Mobile multiple times explain the problem ask them what's going on they tell me everything's fine they said they're going to reset my deal they're going to do this and that and it should fix the problem but it still has yet to fix the problem. Oh and not to mention when I try to set up the the router with the T-Mobile app 90% of the time it tells me can't detect the signal I put in an invalid address and if I finally do get it to detect the signal it tells me I'm in a bad area for that signal and one time from a support guy I got the excuse of I'm in between two towers so it's constantly switching between towers and that's what's giving me my issue

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 6 October 2023, 13:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You could test the tower switching theory by looking at the tower ID in the app and see if is changing constantly...if it is, you may be able to get them to assign you to a single tower.  You might also note when the N41 versus N71 bands are being used.  Some folks have reported that the switching algorithm, is overly biased to N41 to the point they see massive slow downs, and that re-positioning the router to a *worse* location forces a connection to N71 and speeds can actually improve dramatically.  I have a friend that put aluminum foil over 2 of the 4 antennas for exactly that reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

With a signal that strong and sinr that good on n41, very unlikely to switch to another tower.  You might want to see about exchange of the device.