Question

Slow to no data

• 26 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

we have had the 5g home internet for the last 18 months and were very happy with it’s performance, being able to connect 3 or 4 devices at one time and still be able to stream a movie in HD. The last 3 weeks the internet is almost non existent with speeds in the single digits, sometimes 1 or 2 mbs. I called T-Mobile support and they went through all the fake stuff like reboot the modem, modem not in the best spot then, after doing these things it made no difference which I knew it wouldn’t. The next thing was they sent me a new modem, that made no difference either, now they suggested a new sim card. This is exactly the same run around that Sprint did to me a 4 years ago, instead of telling their customer that they had a down tower 3 miles from me which, I verified by driving underneath it to see if it was giving off a signal, it wasn’t.. Right now I’m using my Verizon work phone’s hot spot mode to even get on here. I feel I’m going to have to switch over to Verizon even though they are more expensive but, looks like they are trust worthy. Are there others of you experiencing this same problem?

2 replies

Same exact scenario here (zip 27954), to include recent router swap (N1 for N1).  Replacement router had me back on line for 1.5 days, then poof- service gone again   i too have stuck with TMHI for almost 2 years (early adopter). When it worked, it was great. An occasional slowdown, but otherwise came back.  Want to love this service, but have to cry uncle pretty soon.  Read that TMobile has new gateway coming out that has external antenna capability... but somehow I doubt I'll ever be able to get one.  Incredibly disappointed with the service, and it's souring me to the carrier overall.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If T-Mobile support is giving you the run around, file a BBB complaint to get resolution as to what is going on.

I wouldn’t wait for a TMHI gateway with external antenna … as it may or may not ever come.

Interestingly enough, T-Mobile doesn’t show n41 spectrum in zip 27954.  5G on n25 + n71 as well as LTE , except at Kitty Hawk.  I suspect that it was better on LTE than current 5G for you (possibly weak n71 - not sure if TMHI uses n25 yet).  Best I can recommend is to use the app to tune for the best signal/service that you can get.