Question

Sporadically missed texts/calls + "Not registered in network" + Terrible Support = Severe Problems

• 12 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Problem

My phone is sporadically unable to receive text messages and phone calls (appears out of network for the sender/caller) even in the areas with great signal reception. When the phone is in that state, I am also unable to text and make calls: a “Not registered in network” message appears. The internet connection does not disappear. I can even be watching a video in great quality using my mobile internet, while for someone who tries text/call me, I appear out-of-network.

Restarting my phone, fully recovers the ability to call and text. I even receive SOME missed text messages that were sent to me while I appeared “offline” often in messed up order and minutes apart. However, some of the texts never reach me which makes things even more confusing.

I can’t tell for sure what triggers this state, however, I noticed that it happens more often when I drive around the city. 

The critical issue is that even when I hold my phone in my hand actively using internet and watching videos, I have absolutely no indication that my phone is unreachable by people until I try to call or text. Since I don’t frequently initiate calls and texts, I realized that I sometimes ended up with days of a “disconnected” phone. While most of my communication goes through internet, those less frequent, but most important new personal and professional connections happen via phone calls and texting. It’s just recently I realized that over the course of several months if not years multiple miscommunication issues I had with important people were caused by this ‘auto-ghosting feature’ T-Mobile effectively enabled for me without asking or informing me. Please see “Problem Severity” below.

I suspect that it might be related to the fact that my phone does not support 5G and to the Voice over LTE feature T-Mobile introduced some time ago. I do NOT need 5G at this point, the internet speed is satisfactory.

My phone is a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) SM-A530F/DS purchased from the Samsung store on Amazon in Sep 2018.

T-Mobile Support was Terrible

First, I brought my phone to several T-Mobile offices in Boston area. No ‘expert’ there was able to find the cause of the problem or fix it. Then I called the official  T-Mobile tech support phone number, took time to explain my problem, they said a more tech-savvy engineer will reach me out within 72h (!). And they simply haven’t.

Problem Severity

This is a very serious problem. As I am discovering now, it has affected my personal and professional relationships over the course of months if not years. For people who try to communicate with me, it appears as if I am ghosting them. From my side, it appears that people ghost me.:

• They try to call me and they know I am home, but I appear out of network as if I blocked them or turned off my phone
  • They send a text message and it never reaches me.
  • I expect a text message from them, never receive it, and forced to think negatively about the person

At this point, given that my issue was not even addressed by tech support, I am considering legal options to solve this problem. It’s not that T-Mobile was just unable to deliver the service defined in the contract, the service effectively imposed major damages on me, including damages to and loss of professional, financial and personal relationship opportunities. I am in the process of collecting records and witnesses to support my claims in case of a potential legal action.

3 replies

I have the same problem in NM and AZ. (I travel between the states frequently)   I can be within sight of a cell phone tower and I get the message.   I have spent LITERALLY hours on the phone with tech support who do not know what the problem is.  They have directed me in resetting the phone to factory specs, mailed me new sim card and a hundred other fixes that do not work.   The only way I can make a phone call is to be at home on my wi-fi.   I was traveling with my brother, who has Verizon, and we were outside of a Wal-Mart in Socorro, NM and he could make a call and I got ‘The Message.”   The real is that NO ONE in that organization seems to know or even acknowledge the issue.   I have passed it all the way up to their ‘engineers’  (if they really exist) and was promised a call back which never happened.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to T-Mobile ‘support’ (note this is a public forum, not a true support site).

• T-Mobile support → 611 → all calls go to ‘customer care/billing’
  • After initial ‘triage’ of issue → Advanced technical support. 

Note:  Some advanced technical support teams are actually good, and can at least give you what’s going on, even if they can’t fix it (i.e. poor coverage).

Some advanced technical support (aka ‘best shore’ / after hours/weekends) are effectively script followers and you will go through the following:

• Did you reset your device ?
  • Did you get the ‘latest’ software updates
  • Perform a ‘Network reset’ (wipe wifi/bluetooth info out)
  • Obtain IMEI
  • They will ‘perform a network refresh’ on their end 🙄
  • Reboot your phone (call drops, and 50/50 chance you’ll get them back)
  • Pushed for a new SIM (this should only affect ‘old’ or damaged SIM cards, and not site specific)
  • File a ticket - up to 72 hours (often use incorrect address for issues)
  • Ticket auto closed, no response, no fix.  Ticket info ‘Network working as expected’.  

Then start the process over again.

I’d recommend ‘escalating’ your issue through the BBB.  It will hit executive response team, and you may be ‘encouraged’ to be ported to another carrier.

Please Help!  Why would an incoming call at 3:15 am on a particular date in September 2023 NOT appear on my call/activity log for that date?  There is no question that this call was received on the date/time in question, as I personally received the incoming call that lasted only approximately 10 seconds.  I was in an industrial area, only about 1-2 miles away from the Caller, also a T-Mobile customer, and do not know if the Caller “blocked” their number or not.  Can anybody please help me understand what possible reasons could exist that would show this as a nonexistent call on my activity/usage records?  Any ideas on where else to find proof that this call was made or received?  It also does not show up on my “recent calls” phone list on my iPhone itself.  I don’t recall if I may have deleted the “incoming” call from my iPhone device itself, by swiping left.  I need to find proof that the call was made/received.  Thanks in advance!