Solved

System Failure, specific to 4g

• 27 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Have other TM customers experienced unexpected, persistent failures to connect?

The device will dial and will ring on incoming, however will not handshake with the system upon the attempt to establish a connection on whatever radio frequency is available in the 4g band resulting in an immediate disconnection (call ended) on both outgoing and incoming call attempts.

NO notification to expect inferior service was given by TM.

I have wasted a huge number of hours on a massive number of calls into TM, all resulting in a waste of my time and resources.  VERY frustrating!

icon

Best answer by jamestgordon 29 September 2023, 00:13

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

which “device” is it? and what all have you attempted so far to troubleshoot on your side?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If the device is a non-T-Mobile device that is from an international market, like Asia.  Those devices are not VoLTE compatible with T-Mobile USA.  All devices must be compatible with T-Mobile USA’s implementation of VoLTE to be able to make and receive calls on T-Mobile’s network.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there @jamestgordon Just checking in on this one. Have you been able to get a resolution or do you still need help. Fireguy has some good questions. 

which “device” is it? and what all have you attempted so far to troubleshoot on your side?

I was also wondering where you were having these issues. Does it only happen at home or at work, or any call, anywhere, any time?

Thanks for sharing a little more information so we can provide more help. 

Badge +1

Q.1

(fireguy) was Equipment Answers:  I own 4 phones: 

1.) Primary phone is USA TM LGv40 (like New) - High quality Flagship TM products. 

2.) Back-up/Spare biz line for me is another USA TM LGv40 (New)

3.) Spouse is USA LG G7 (like new)

3.) Daughter is USA iPhone XR

Commencing July 18, 2023 (without notice) both LGv40s suddenly failed (same behavior).  Strangely, the LGg7 and iPhoneXR were not affected. I stored both v60’s (Android 10 & all apps fully updated) because they were useless & was forced to purchase a new 5G Android 13.   However, this last week both the g7 and the iPhone XR commenced the identical behavior (inability to connect either an incoming, or make an outgoing call), TEXT & Data worked fine on ALL of the hardware most of the time including when voice calls were impossible but at intermittent times TEXTS did not arrive, or transmit.

Q.2 was:

“Does it only happen at home or at work, or any call, anywhere, any time?”

A: any call, anywhere, any time, any tower, all failed.

Q.3 was: 

“Did you get a resolution or do you still need help.” 

A:  After roughly 30 calls to 611, and with me desiring a paper trail/transcript, last night (092823) via the TM App CHAT, I received a simple suggestion, and it seems it worked on the TM LG G7 however, I will hold off on commenting until after I test it for a few days, before ‘stating’ that it is a good fix. I am disturbed with the Russian Roulette nature of the TM guessing-game practiced by TM Service NOTE: during most of the apx 30 611 phone calls, I requested a Supervisor with decision-making authority who all were guessing because the regular CSRs were useless (they may have been nice, but possessed no useful technical knowledge. Side note: I get very frustrated when I know more about TM processes and more about the Tech & hardware than the people I must speak with, plus it is VERY aggravating to explain “the same old story” repetitively, only to get transferred to someone else, creating a very tedious repetition of the circumstances and causing a HUGE waste of my time.

Also, TM did agree to a warranty exchange so sent new replacement 5g phones, but this did not go well.

1.) first product caused an instore nightmare, and it crashed (bad store management, uninterested manager)

2.) 2nd alternate was unacceptable and RMA returned.

3.) 3rd attempt was unacceptable and RMA returned (used/refurb units instead of new units). I opened one box, inspected physically & activated one and the battery was used up (didn't hold a proper charge) PLUS was incompatible with CelFi booster.

4.) I received a “Pending” BILL for these last two exchanges because it took me a log timeline to get around to testing them (I have a life and other obligations), the bill was for $1,802.36 before tax, for old refurb discontinued phones, a Non-starter!  Especially since I can purchase them BRAND NEW, in the BOX (TM branded) for less than $250!   Wow! Can you believe TM would dare to try & overcharge me by $1,802.36 + 108 in tax for = 1,910.48?? Especially when I can buy them NEW (New, NOT Refurb) from AMAZON for less than $500.00 in total. Let that sink in!

5.) I met RMA deadlines & TM says the $1,802.36 isn't on my bill and have reassured me that on their end the potential charges were eliminated, and therefore I will NOT get billed for these charges, but on the consumer PC Portal, the hit still ‘appears’ and it is sticky, so this makes me nervous, since I no longer trust TM.   (there is more to this story, but the details are excessive, and I don’t presently have time to rehash them).

6.) TM still owes me several credits, and I told the last 2 reps & asked for a small adjustment, but it was “forgotten”.    There is a larger credit issue wherein I requested reimbursement for the 2+ weeks of no service (even though I was billed for it).  

7.) I told a few supervisors that I deserve, and I am requesting an additional, larger credit to compensate me for the extensive troubleshooting that I preformed FBO TM, and they agreed to attempt to get it, but they never followed up, or followed through. 

8.) I also purchased a NEW TM 5g, (this should not have been necessary, but I HAD to regain service on my primary Cell #). TM should cover the expenses; and I still needed to replace 2 more perfectly good phones to get more 4g radio frequencies and 5g, which TM should have supplied me. 

9.) since the New TM 5g seems to work well, I needed to acquire 2 more to replace the other failing units.

GoogleFi offers 4 unlimited lines for $80, all-in.

ATT: good counter, but it’s ATT

Verizon - not contacted

and, MANY MVNO options

So I have made great effort to remain @TM & give them my ARR, but it is getting harder to be loyal.

There are other issues, but I’ve already written too much.

I believe the root cause involves TM tower management & optimization decisions regarding radio frequencies within the bands, and decisions to deprioritize certain frequencies generated by towers, causing units lacking certain radio bandwidths to suffer without a heads-up notice to paying customers, and without a plan to make things right for those clients.

Badge +1

Sept 29, 2023 UpDate

PS & Update on the replacement: 

went to One+ Nord N30 selected primarily due to price), SD & 3.5mm 

good:  SDcard  (YES!!!)

good: 3.5mm jack

Good: 8gb RAM (+ 8 Virtual = 16gm) 

Good: excellent 40w FAST charger that performs well with the great 5k Battery

OK:   OS Skin: is merely OK, not too intrusive

Good: very Little add’l: Bloatware

GREAT: (auto) 5g to 4g that actually works (a necessity when reliant on a cellFi device, in-house, sub-floor office)

passable: Customer Service/Support:  Not good, but neither is TM Service (or for that matter ATT, Delta, etc., nor physician practice-managers, billing coders, etc., etc. 

BAD: TM: still experiencing network glitches VERY aggravating 

BAD: TM: still crappy Customer No-Service & no accountability 

Badge +1

Problems NOT solved!  Not even close.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

correct me if im wrong but are at least 2 of your phones non 5G? and if thats the case do they have VoLTE or no? if not that might be the culprit. TMO has been shutting down 3G which is what calls go across..and in place is VoLTE (Voice over LTE)..but if the device does not have VoLTE the calls will fail unless you land on another tower that still has 3G on it.

Badge +1

I owned 2 LG v40s, 1 LG g7, 1 Apple XR, 

Both v40s failed 100% due to tower changes regarding ‘unannounced’ TM de-tuning/De-prioratization of their previously broadcasted & supported “radio frequency”, modifications within 4g.

Note: LG G7 (a cheaper LG) continued to work (due to varied frequencies embedded) 

4g Apple continued to work

~~ HOWEVER, both the G7 & the Apple experienced the same failures roughly ‘3 weeks after’ the v40’s

Most of the TM service employees (front line & Tech Departments) do not understand this, and it is frustrating; I am dealing with inadequate knowledge or training.  

I wasted copious hours calling TM & training the TM workforce 9NOT something I enjoy, I despise this aspect); a colossal abuse & waste of my time, energy, and money (Time is money & TM is not paying me but should probably pay me). 

90% of TM promises to follow-up & return calls, etc FAIL.

Promises made, never kept.

Also: MASSIVE problems with billing and the billing workstations inaccuracy (date & math errors).

Note: Currently: I bought a new 1+ N30 5g to replace one LG V40 as a temp. PATCH to ‘maintain’ Voice call ‘capability’.  TM gave no heads-up. 

TM is too busy selling, always pushing add-ons when I call for support (that is unresolved).

$ wise: 10/09/23, I finally spoke to a TM agent the with ability to research & help resolve a HUGE TM billing Error. The mistake not fixed yet, but she was smart, and a good listener, and she identified a GLITCH in the TM system that numerous other TM agents failed to ID. And she promised follow-up next Tuesday. 

BTY: this billing ERROR resulted in a huge new monthly service bill exceeding $2,000 !!!   I was forced to remove Auto pay just to prevent TM from grabbing $2k from my Bank! 

‘Additional problems exist’: I was told by a Tech supervisor he would resolve the hardware issues, even replacements if necessary but due to tower failure the agent was unable to connect and after a couple of Voice mails gave up & I can not reach him again but have tried by asking for an interoffice messaging request for him to call me, but no successes, as of now.  

I could write about many, many more egregious errors, and failures on part of TM however, I am tired of typing and repetitively repeating the same old story over & over again, far too many times. 

I should have terminated TM back in July (in hindsight).

Badge +1

PS ref: VoLTE - A: YES