Question

t-mobile internet name not showing up as available network

• 21 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have been a T-Mobile home internet customer for nearly five months. Things were fine, but recently internet speeds have been slow -- this might be due to living in a college town that adds 10-15,000+ more cell phone users from September-May.

I re-set my internet speed to 5G (from the “recommended” variable 2.4G/5G). I re-started the Gateway, and my laptop connected wirelessly to the internet, but my desktop and cellphone cannot connect. In fact, when trying to reconnect those two devices, my T-Mobile internet name does not even show up on the list of available networks -- there are 20 or more other names listed but not my T-Mobile internet name. I have tried to re-enter my T-Mobile internet name and password manually on my desktop and cellphone, but I cannot connect to the internet, and my T-Mobile internet name does not even show up on the list of available networks.

Why would these two devices no longer be able to connect to my T-Mobile internet, although my laptop re-connected? These other two devices were able to connect to my T-Mobile internet previously.

I have tried to re-set the Gateway -- switching it off, as well as switching off and unplugging. This was not successful. I re-booted my desktop, and my T-Mobile internet name is showing as “saved” but it is not listed as an available network to which I can connect. (My desktop is within the same room as the Gateway -- 10-12 feet away from the Gateway.)

I contacted technical support but they were not able to provide any helpful information.

Does anyone know why this might have happened, and how I might be able to reconnect my desktop and cellphone? Why is my T-Mobile internet name not even listed as an available option to connect to for my desktop, even though I was able to reconnect my laptop?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think you did it backwards.  Almost all devices can connect to 2.4 GHz.  Most newer devices can connect to 5 GHz (not to be confused with 5G), but many cannot connect to 5 GHz.

I suggest reverting your T-Mobile Home Internet Wi-Fi network to Automatic - which will “smartly” deliver 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz to most of your devices.  The security should be WPA2/WPA3.  That is how the gateway was originally setup, and if I understand correctly, that is what you had been using. 

Then ADD a 2.4 GHz network, with security set to WPA/WPA2 (Not WPA3/WPA3).  Your desktop and other devices should be able to connect to this second network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You can use the ‘factory reset’ button which should reset the gateway, password, SSID and all to the default that is printed on the device, and you’ll be able to connect available.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello nc1037. Thank you very much. I appreciate the reply.

However, the issue now is that I cannot access the T-Mobile Internet app on my phone because my phone cannot connect to the internet. It was on the T-Mobile Internet app that I changed my Network setting.

Do you know how I can access the gateway’s network settings (in order to “revert (my) T-Mobile Home Internet Wi-Fi network to Automatic” -- you understood correctly, that was what I had been using prior to my foolhardy change to 5 GHz) if I do not have access to the T-Mobile Internet app?

Alternatively, I was thinking of getting an ethernet cable and connecting that directly to the desktop. My only concern is whether I would be able to have an ethernet connection (to my desktop) and simultaneously connect my laptop wirelessly. Do you know if it is possible to use an ethernet connection for one device while simultaneously connecting another device via WiFi?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello formercanuck. Thanks very much for your reply.

Technical support floated that idea of a “factory re-set” although the customer service person was a little hesitant, suggesting it would be best used as a last resort after exhausting other fixes, since they could not guarantee that it would go off without hitches. I am not sure of the validity of that concern, but given my situation until the end of the calendar year I need to have uninterrupted internet access on at least one device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think you should do the factory reset as formercanuck suggested.  It’s not that drastic.  Also delete / reinstall the app from your phone - if you can download over cellular.  Of course you’ll need to change the network name and password to whatever it was before for most of your things to connect easily.

Yes, you can have your desktop computer connected to the gateway with an ethernet cable without affecting the Wi-Fi.  

I still recommend adding the second 2.4 GHz network for any stubborn devices.  Your desktop might be one of those.  (Mine was.)

😃

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Please call T Mobile Home Internet Technical Support Team.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello nc1037. Thanks very much for the reply and the information.

I actually ordered a refurbished desktop (ordered before this incident), so it is possible that when this ‘new’ desktop arrives it may allow WiFi connection. My existing desktop is 10 years old and running Windows 7. Although, ultimately, a factory re-set will be the way to go.

[As a note, the goal of getting higher internet speeds by switching from the recommended network setting of 2.4/5 GHz to 5 GHz was achieved. Over the past five months, my internet speeds consistently were in the 30s and 40s. Three speed test checks over the past two days recorded download speeds of 349Mbps (midmorning), 156Mbps (6:00pm) and 300Mbps (8:00am this morning).]

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My desktop computer (11 years old) and one of my printers (9 years old) could not connect to the default T-Mobile Home Internet network during my initial setup.  I proceeded to connect most of the rest of my things to the default network.  On Day 2, I created the separate 2.4 GHz network for the older devices.  My previous router was 802.11ac with separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.  My main TV couldn’t decide which it liked better and I often had to go into settings to switch bands.  It is much better now with the automatic selection.  Streaming has been rock solid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Older computers often end up with some interesting issues.   IPv6 is one of them, having some devices that are 2.4GHz only is another.

I’ve preferred 5GHz - typically for throughput (more spectrum), less interference (also less range).

Bluetooth (mice/buds/keyboard) and other items often will consume more battery when WiFi devices are also using 2.4GHz.

I haven’t got past ~670Mbps on the Home Internet, so I’m not concerned about too much for speed.