T-Mobile sabotaging old phones?

• 23 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Sorry for the click-baity post title, but it’s quite a serious question.

I have been having on-going issues since last year now, specifically curiously since the last android update I received via T-Mobile where I get dramatic issues 60+% of the time, where everyone talking to me on the phone sounds digitally garbled and time-delayed even though I sound completely fine to them.

I of course have been through many many fix attempts with T-Mobile to which just finally came to the convenient “You’ll have to buy a new phone” fix as my S8+ is technically “End of life”.

Now, I figured before I went through and bought a new phone (as I would be in need of a decent one capable of doing long video and heavy tethering without overheating) I’d literally try every other thing I can think of, one thing of which curiously was setting the network mode to LTE/3G instead of LTE/3G/2G.

Incredibly I’ve not had an issue in days, so this peaked my curiosity.  Was my phone using 2G for some reason despite being in an entirely LTE/4G area (and even showing the 4G icon)?.  But why would it possibly be doing so?  Then I recalled the odd update I received from T-Mobile right around when this started, which did nothing to satisfy my curiosity when I noticed that according to my android information my phone is of a “December 1st, 2020” security update level, oddly at that since at minimum my S8+ was still within support cycle until May 2021 and even at that Samsung still released official security updates to it up until November 2021.  So what was this curious update that T-Mobile gave my phone just oddly before these issues started?  I cannot find any public information from T-Mobile as to the updates they do, let alone what this update was and why it apparently was not a security update to android itself.

Has anyone else been experiencing curious call quality issues on older devices that just seemingly started shortly after their phone may have reached a support EoL?

Would anyone from T-Mobile kindly be able to give me at least some reasoning to the software version discrepancies and oddly undocumented updates?  Or at least some technical reasoning as to what possibly on a just-year-old EoL’d phone would even remotely cause these kind of issues, and only on incoming audio, not outgoing?

I mean if it wasn’t for being at T-Mobile as long as I have been and them having really nice customer service people I would have probably long long jumped ship cause paying service over a year for literally less than 40% service reliability is a bit insane, but my hopes of them resolving this have largely disappeared now as my issue seems to be getting worse now.

6 replies

Badge

I found doing the opposite worked for me. I found I can make a phone call if I use 2G only. I switch back to LTE/3G/2G for data.

I’m still going to try a new SIM card just to find out if it is the SIM card before I switch to Verizon and buy a new phone. I was considering Verizon anyway because they have a better deal on hotspot and have more rural coverage.

I’ve concluded it isn’t the tower because WIFI calling does the same thing. It looks like they are sabotaging the data at the switch office. Also, it isn’t the microphone because bluetooth headphones do the same thing for phone calls.

It looks like 4G sabotage, but it could be other things related to phone hardware and software, and it just happens it also happened to my girlfriend’s phone too at the same time. It could be an isolated mistake.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Some.older devices may not support VoLTE or some.bands in your area (LTE.B12, B71 or B41).  3g/4g UMTS/WCDMA has been decommissioned,  but may be active in a few sites.  2g is still active in areas where it existed 

I have had 2 T-Mobile Revl phones just lock up and die on me at appx 18 months and now my brother has had the same thing happen to him.  This is not a coincidence. it is a scam 

Same issue and no connectivity unless on WiFi 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile has a history of pushing the technology envelope and leaving last year’s tech in the dust bin. They are transitioning to an almost entirely 5G network. They do support LTE but it’s being depreciated.  3G/WCDMA is gone and there’s just a wisp of 2G to be found and they will get rid of it as soon as they can. They want a modern streamlined one-size-fits-all network. Customers just have to keep up or get left behind. Complaining about it will result in a sad tune on the world’s smallest violin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just as a note.  Not only T-Mobile, but AT&T has shed itself of 2G and 3G (might be a rural location somewhere), and similarly Verizon has shed itself of CDMA , and is … 4G LTE + 5G only.

TBH, T-Mobile still has 2G over a decent footprint.  Sure, S8 devices are +6 years old, which by today’s standards are ancient, but in reality isn’t that old (I have a S2 Galaxy tablet, and 2014 Mac Mini.)

These devices are basically planned obsolescence - by the manufacturer.  Android updates, security, etc. won’t go +6 years on a device like this.  iPhones don’t have much on this either.

As far as wireless tech … LTE should be around for a decent while - as a low power/low use service - at least through Agenda 2030

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/4g-to-5g-how-long-will-4g-lte-be-available