Question

Text Message "Not sent. Tap to try Again"

• 12 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I frequently get the following error message when sending text message:

“Not sent. Tap to try Again”.

This happens WAY TOO often and is super frustrating.  I have tried to restart my phone and power cycle with no resolution. Sometimes it can take a couple of hours and multiple “taps” to finally get the message to send. 

This never happened until I got a new Motorola Edge 2022 phone a few months ago. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

texts are the only thing you are having issues with? data is fine and calls to and or received work fine? also which texting app is it using?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Only issue seems to be text messages.

Sometimes a text will work for one contact, but not another at around the same time.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

which texting app is it? you can download a different texting app to see if its the stock one or not. usually if you see issues with for example regualr texts but not MMS texts then you’ll usually see issues with calls...reversed if there is a data issue you’ll usually see it affect MMS texts..your issue could be app related. anyone else around you seeing the same problem but with a different phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Intermittent issues are the most frustrating because it is sooo hard to pin down the exact cause. The error message "Not sent. Tap to try Again" when sending text messages can be due to several reasons. Here is where I would start:

1. Device Updates and Space: Update your device software to the latest version and ensure your device has at least 15% free space. This is most commonly overlooked, but the main reason why I found messages not working during my time taking tech support calls. I would start with the conversation that you are getting the error message in, but continue by deleting as many text messages, apps, pictures, and files that you can. 
  2. Check for Blocks: Ensure that Message Blocking or Family Allowances aren't preventing messaging on your end or the recipient's.
  3. Clear Cache and Reset Network Settings: For Android, clear the app cache and data for Messaging. For both Android and Apple devices, reset the Network Settings. 

If the issue persists after these steps, consider moving the SIM card to another T-Mobile device and try texting from that device to determine if it's a network or device issue. If it follows the sim card, you can contact support to have them file a ticket. If it is only on your Motorola phone, you can cycle the phone into Safe Mode to see if it happens when all third-party apps are disabled. If it doesn’t happen in safe mode, then you are looking at an app issue and will want to do a master reset. 

It might seem like a lot, but we want to get you back to seamless texting. Hope this helps!

Since the earthquake my messages aren't going through?? I've tried several different apps, Google messages, Samsung messages, etc. None go through. 

Not able to send out as well, but can receive. A lot worse than Verizon since I switched last month.

We have been with T-Mobile for a long time, but purchased new Moto phones just over a year ago. No problems initially. Several months later, we started having problems sending texts on a sporadic, unpredictable basis. Very frustrating.

Called T-Mobile tech support numerous times on this issue and heard various responses including T-Mobile has a problem with a tower in the area, we should delete our app cashe, and our phones may be broken. The latest suggestion was to switch texting apps from Messenger to WhatsApp.

I discussed this ongoing issue with a technical person outside of T-Mobile who suggested that maybe their signals from the various Gs were somehow causing problems. Based on this idea, I turned off the 2G and 5G options on my phone. I’d rather have a slower phone than the inability to send texts periodically. So far so good.

Fyi, mine got fixed when they did a SIM card change.

We tried the SIM card switch too. Didn’t work for us.

I too have had this same issue. Doesn't matter how many times I try to resend. I have also tried using a different text app, switched to 4g only, restarted my phone, cleared the cache and still will have the same issue. I will do a test send to myself or another person and usually but not always have no issue. So I think maybe it's that person but I will immediately send another random msg to them with no issue. 

So, figure that one out T-Mobile because it's highly irritating especially when the text is important or in the middle of an argument.  And please don't tell me to do something I already mentioned I have done probably many times.

I’m having the same issue of texts not sending but also finding out from my wife and kids that I don’t get some of their texts.  It’s frustrating.  Talked with tmobile and their answer was to turn off 5G, reboot the phone, change the sms functions.  None of which works.  I’m also having issue with the phone coverage randomly not connect, so dealing with a brick for hours on end.  T-mobile lady told me there was nothing they could do and this is a motorola issue.  I’ve had samsung for years and thought it might be fun to try a different phone.  Worst phone decision ever. 

Anyone have any luck with tmobile cancelling this phone and transferring to another phone?  I just don’t want to pay for this phone anymore. It doesn’t work, why should I pay to move to a phone that works? 

I’m having the same problem with my Moto G 2022 phone. It’s quite annoying.