Question

The 5gUC "upgrade" bricks my iPhone 12 Pro

• 8 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

T-mobile just “upgraded” towers in my area to carry signals as 5gUC but whenever my phone switches from 5g to 5gUC, the data gets bricked. My family has four T-mobile iPhones, from the 12 Pro through the new 14, and this is affecting ALL of our iPhones. When we are on 5gUC, we can’t text, can’t download pictures or video, can’t upload anything at all, and cannot open apps. NOTHING works on 5gUC on any of our iPhones except the phone calling feature. That’d be fine if I was paying for a landline phone, but these are iPhones! Come on, T-mobile!

I spent well over an hour on the phone with T-mobile tech support on Wednesday, and they had me go into settings and “reset iPhone,” then “reset network settings,” and supposedly they were fine-tuning something on their end with a supervisor assisting to “fix” the issue with 5gUC. This made things better for one day, then today (two days later) the 5gUC bricked all our phones again. 

Hey T-mobile, if you rolled out something that doesn’t work, FIX IT! And no, the solution is not to send your customers back to 2019 LTE only service when we are paying for 5G capability. Turn off the 5gUC features on your towers and go back to the 5G service that worked before the UC “upgrade” until you have the problems ironed out. Quit compromising service with a clearly botched upgrade.

T-mobile tech support had me use my Verizon cell phone from my work for most of the hour long call with their tech support… because my T-mobile service wasn’t working… I’m starting to think that’s significant in some way…. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

5G UC is meant mostly for very high speed data when stationary and within meters of where the signal is coming from.  This is why it is perfect for places like stadiums.  There could be a few reasons causing the issues, the first of which might and more probably be distance.  The weaker the signal, the less chance of UC being usable.  Apps, texting, and data not working is solely based on the way iMessage works.  It requires data to work.  No data makes iMessage pretty useless.  With more US sites being rolled out.  It is possible that the site you are connecting to isn’t fully deployed yet.  If your device keeps connecting to it automatically, you could turn off 5G temporarily to put it back on 4G LTE to restore your data.  

Badge

I am sitting still right now, connected to a 5G tower with 2 bars. Ten minutes ago I was sitting in the exact same spot and was connected to 5G UC with 5 bars. The 5gUC service was terrible… it again bricked my phone. On 5G it works great even with only 2 bars. Something is badly badly wrong with the 5gUC service. PLEASE fix this as it is clearly a T-Mobile problem, not a phone issue. If the 5gUC continues to be this bad why would anyone continue to remain with T-Mobile? If you are going to continue to recommend I force my phone back to LTE you might as well also recommend I switch to using a laptop instead of using my phone. That’s a ridiculous suggestion you made and it avoids you accepting responsibility for what T-Mobile has broken.  

I’ve been noticing the same thing for a while now. I’m literally sitting in one spot watching the service drop and come back. I can’t do anything.