Question

Unlimited Home Internet??

• 1 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Just moved into our new house and were contemplating our internet options around us, which are few and far between. During our time of deciding, we made sure that the unlimited home internet was available to us and it was, all the way up until we finally pulled the trigger. The day we signed up, unlimited home internet was supposedly not available in my area anymore. We did have the option for the home internet lite plan, so we went with that in the meantime until unlimited was available in our area again. The lite plan was great up until we ran out of the 100GB of allowable data, now I can’t even load a webpage. I guess my question is, how often does unlimited data become available once it’s supposedly no longer available in my area? Do I have to wait for T-Mobile to build another cell tower in my area or something? If that’s the case, I’m going to stop my service and switch to Verizon. Any insight is appreciated. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

TBH, I never heard much of the ‘Lite’ plan.  I had 4G LTE home internet plan ~2 years back, and now 5G Home Internet plan, and I’ve only seen ‘Available’ or ‘Not Available’.

Of course, SoCal is kinda hit or miss, and typically has spectrum+backhaul, but not always great service.

I suspect that its a monthly cap.  I’d recommend calling T-Mobile and speaking to their Home Internet people.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

T-Mobile limits the number of gateways that can access unlimited data in an area / cell tower, so unlimited can be available or unavailable at any time.  When you see it offered, jump on it!

In the meantime, T-Mobile does offer the Lite plan that you are currently on, with data available in 100GB up to 300GB.  So maybe you should upgrade to a higher data plan in the meantime.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/home-internet/t-mobile-internet-lite