Question

Weak Signal despite TMO map of 5G

Badge

Seeing no place on T-Mobile website to convey this concern (other than a phone number) I’m taking to this forum.  We were with Sprint for +/-20years and had a great signal at our house.  Soon as it switched over to T-Mobile I’m having apps not working and a weak signal often of just one bar.  T-Mobile coverage map shows us in the dark majenta for 5G but that’s not happening on my iPhone13Pro (the newest at this time).

Would prefer to not switch to AT&T but you may be forcing me to as they have a better signal.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

contact TMO and have them open a network ticket to have it looked into..you can either call them (tier 1 support) or you can contact them through Facebook/Twitter (tier 2 support).

the site here is primarily peer to peer assistance with a handful of moderators to keep the site in order only..they do not have account access.

Badge

Thanks, Fireguy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no worries. im one of the lucky ones ...ish..that when the merger happened i didnt see lack of service compared to what i had before..i didnt see any drastic improvements other than i have 5G now..but even with that it wasnt to life altering lol.

Good luck..post what ended up happening if they let you know.

TMO maps shows my home location with Ultra 5g, but my home internet shows weak signal and Marley 75-100mbs typically. I was hoping for much better!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

While 75-100Mbps isnt ideal, it falls into TMobiles typical usable service range.  Id recommend using the TMobile home internet app to determine best location,  and the ‘More/Advanced Cellular Metrics ‘ tab to determine what you're actually getting.   TMobiles maps are not really valid for much beyond approximation and are more valid for sales than being technically accurate,  especially indoors.

Some of these home internet devices are even sensitive to direction (ie try rotating it), also Cellmapper (Android) will determine which tower you are physically connected to, and you may see what is between your device and the tower

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve used the placement function in home internet app and it told me to place upstairs, near window, and what corner of house was closest to signal direction. I will try rotating to see if that helps. Honestly, it’s not bad, but when son starts playing Xbox you can notice the drag on overall network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you have an android device that is connected to T-Mobile, use the ‘cell mapper’ app to determine how close/far you are from the tower.

If there are items between your device and tower, speeds / signal will drop.

Eg.  There are trees + corner of a building between my device and tower.  

Worst case In doors, ~250Mbps rotated 180 degrees the wrong way or elsewhere in the house

Best case indoors - cutting through as little house + building and rotated correctly gives me ~400Mbps/20Mbps.

Open the window/slider, +500Mbps/60Mbps (peak of +650Mbps/75Mbps)

Wow, those are big changes in speed. Unfortunately, no android, but T-Mobile app does show from what direction the signal should be strongest. No trees, but unit it is the corner next to a window. Maybe some interference from additional structure in corner. Perhaps a little more direct in front of window and a slight rotation will help. I’m a little discouraged simply because the location I moved  from showed ultra 5g as well and I was seeing speeds like you describe at  +500Mbps/60Mbps. 

Again, thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well im only ~1200’ from the tower.  In theory, in many places, service may get better once the leaves fall.