Question

What's the point of having Tmobile Digits if I have to have my phone to access it?

• 17 January 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge

This seems ridiculous to me, for a while I had T-Mobile Digits installed on my work computer incase I forgot my phone at home, I would still have access to my phone and texts virtually. Now with the new "Let's confirm it's you" security feature, I need my phone to log in to the Digits app... which completely defeats the purpose of the app. There's no way to disable that security feature from what the rep on the customer service line tells me. 

So why does T-Mobile even offer Digits as a feature if I can't use it unless I have my phone in my hand? Seems kind of dumb. 

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Security. Say if someone figures out your credentials how would you know? It's a reason why digits doesn't send shortcodes to digits. There's other scenarios that could happen, and you would wish for more security. 

Badge

I should have the option to disable it or send code via email. So the Digits app can be accessed without my phone. That's the point I am trying to make

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I don't agree. Liability has shown even when opted out if accounts are comprised companies are blamed. There's various threads on here about stalkers to people having accounts drained. Saying T-Mobile needs tighter security and various FTC complaints about them to try and force T-Mobile to reimburse what they lost(whether they are liable or not still costs them $$$)

They got to pick their poison right? 

Badge

You can agree or not, thats your opinion. I'm just saying I should have the option since I'm the one paying for the service. I'd sign my liability away for access to digits. Plus there are 2FA options or email validation that could keep the security and give us more options to access it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

1 Fish 2 Fish. Red Fish Blue Fish.  Some say too much security some say not enough. If I say let me have it my way and I won’t hold you liable and something happens I’m going to look for a way to make it your fault that it happened. You see this everyday. Yes this is inconvenient to you but it is also done to protect you. I feel you pain but in addition to looking out for you they are also looking out for themselves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

1 Fish 2 Fish. Red Fish Blue Fish.  Some say too much security some say not enough. If I say let me have it my way and I won’t hold you liable and something happens I’m going to look for a way to make it your fault that it happened. You see this everyday. Yes this is inconvenient to you but it is also done to protect you. I feel you pain but in addition to looking out for you they are also looking out for themselves.

as well as anyone else linked to that DIGITS account

Userlevel 1
Badge

The OP is spot on here.  I work in an area where cell phones are simply not allowed.  

There are many ways to authenticate without having a cell phone glued to your hand.  How about a trusted third number (on my desk), or, as the OP states, an email? 

I am in the same boat as the OP. DIGITS is useless to me.  I guess the target audience is the person whom has their cell in their hand, but wants to use DIGITS anyway.

BTW, I have asked to have DIGITS removed from my account twice.  It always seems to spontaneously come back to my account. This really bothers the control freak in me...

It is funny that the person to reply to this very legitimate question, did not actually answer the question: So why does T-Mobile even offer Digits as a feature if I can't use it unless I have my phone in my hand? 

I am also in a situation where I can not have my phone with me but I would like to message. I understand security, trust me, so why offer the “service” and market it as a great way to text without your phone.

Eh. just silliness overall.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The answer isn't what YOU want to hear. As I stated is to enough when connected the PERSON who has access is the PERSON who owns the line. Liability issues if it isn't someone YOU want access to. You say you could sign a waiver but that doesn't clean it'll always hold up in court. 

LOL. YOU really like to use capitals. Grammatically, YOU did not answer the question. Rather you replied to why the verification is needed each time. The question was more about what is the point of offering the “service”. Just a small point, but an important one in actually answering the question asked.

Possible answer: I think the reason they offer the service must be something along the lines of making it easier to see and respond to texts while sitting at your computer working rather than having to reach for your phone etc.. You can have a window open on your computer (or on another screen) with DIGITS while you work in another window/screen.

But IT’S not the ability to text without your phone. :) That service is not offered.