Solved

why do I get 4G LTE signal when it shows on the map in my area that there is 5G Ultra coverage?

Badge

There are pockets in my town that don’t get any signal at all.  Coverage map shows 5G Ultra Coverage - makes no sense.

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 18 August 2022, 16:59

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What phone do you have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Your device, whatever it is (would be helpful), will not sit on 5G.  5G is when your device can benefit from a potentially faster and or more stable high connection.  Do you have a SIM that was produced in the past couple of years?  Does your device support whatever is deployed in the town you mention but don’t name (again, would be helpful)?  

Badge

I have a Iphone 12 - so pretty new device.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

brand new sim card when you got that phone or did you swap your old sim into the new phone? and if so what was the previous phone?

Badge

Good point about the sim card … probably used old one but honestly don’t remember… it would have come from Iphone I8Plus … I will check on this - it could be the reason.  Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was the 8Plus a 5G capable phone or 4G only? not a huge Apple fan so not fully sure lol.

if it was a 4G phone then the sim card is also only for 4G. if it was a 5G capable phone it should work fine.

Okay I was having the same issue with the iPhone 13 mini and they said to go to

settings

cellular

Cellular Data Options

Voice & data

see if it is set to 5g auto

if not switch to LTE and see if that works.

I am testing it out and so far so good.

thanks for the tip to check the coverage map.

apparently my part of town is last to switch over! 🙄

is there a super easy way to check if my SIM is 5G capable?  whether it is physically on the card or through Settings?

I assume when I get into a 5G area, it will switch from LTE to 5G automatically and fairly quickly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

R15 or TM9XXX on it or newer.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

If you bought the device new you may have a sim card already in the box.  All you need to do is just log in and switch to that sim using your online account.  If for some reason you can’t just dial 611 and a rep should be able to help you.

Some say that although the capability of 5G is almost everywhere, it is actually not up and running everywhere. and this is what I confirmed from the phone service company as well. and phones and services indicate “5G capability” so they are set up to run on 5G, but doesn’t mean it will, it just has the technology in it prepared too. this is what the tech support has indicated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The 5g , and to a lesser extent  5g UC indicator are software programmable.   My phone will display 5g even when I have B2/B66 only.  Specifically B2/B66 as ‘anchor’ or primary band.  If it was B25/B41 or B71 as primary,  then my phone will show lte.  The UC indicator is a little different,  as it will show with n41 5g, and doesn't always enable/disable immediately with or without n41.  5g generic indicator is based on tower/site programming.

hey quick update: without changing my SIM, I moved outside my immediate neighborhood and it went to "5G UC" (almost everywhere else too & I drove a lot! lol)

ill do a speedtest at the end of the month when I have data to burn :)