Solved

Why does my TV think I'm in Rhode Island, when I'm actually in Maine?

• 23 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a Roku, and I thought that changing my zip code would solve this problem, but it doesn't. My commercials are for Rhode Island locations, but worse, I can't watch my local PBS Station. I suppose I shouldn't complain because it is letting me watch WGBH, one of the Boston stations, but still...

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 24 January 2024, 14:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Lots of streaming services use the IP address rather than your physical location.  For a cellular service like TM, the IP location is where TM aggregates all the cellular signals and connects to the internet….in your case Rhode Island.  It can even move around a bit without you knowing.  There isn’t a lot you can do.  Some folks have had success by connecting thru a VPN that lets you assign a phyicsal location to an IP address.  Otherwise, you need a streaming service that is more flexible.  YouTube TV, for example, let’ you set a physical location different from your IP location.

Badge

That's basically what I thought, though I certainly couldn't have explained it as clearly as you did! T Mobile denies that this is happening. My YouTube TV is set up for my physical location, but that doesn't help, and it's not such a big problem that I'd want to go for the added expense of a VPN. Thank you so much for your help!