Sticky Blog

Need to unlock a device? Here's some information to get you started.

Show first post

101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Best Buy sells an “unlocked” version that locks to the first carrier under Apple reseller flex policy.

https://swappa.com/faq/answer/us-reseller-flex-policy

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if its a carrier specific device then unfortunately it must be on said carrier for a certain amount of days (TMO is 40 days postpaid or 365 days prepaid and or $100 in refills and 14 days on their network <~also prepaid). if those are not met there is nothing that can be done.

if you bought a fully unlocked and carrier free phone and had it on TMO for a very short amount of time then same rules apply..every carrier locks a new device to them for a certain amount of days.

Best Buy sells an “unlocked” version that locks to the first carrier under Apple reseller flex policy.

https://swappa.com/faq/answer/us-reseller-flex-policy

It is not apple Iphone, is a Google Pixel phone

if its a carrier specific device then unfortunately it must be on said carrier for a certain amount of days (TMO is 40 days postpaid or 365 days prepaid and or $100 in refills and 14 days on their network <~also prepaid). if those are not met there is nothing that can be done.

if you bought a fully unlocked and carrier free phone and had it on TMO for a very short amount of time then same rules apply..every carrier locks a new device to them for a certain amount of days.

I got it unlocked and it was never conected to T Mobile network

It seams the vendor at BestBuy got the wrong unit for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @HeavenM , I am from Brazil and got an Unlocked Pixel 7 from Best Buy 15 days ago.

I got back to Brazil and, when tried to activate the Pixel on a local carrier it says it is T Mobile locked.

The phone was paid full, with no discounts, as unlocked. I questioned best buy and it looks it was a mistake on inventory. The problems is that I have no way to contact t mobile (I am not even a client), The app they say exists to unlock pixel phone is not compatible (says it is only compatible with older android systems when trying to download).

Do you know how could I get this phone unlocked?

We have a great tutorial on our Support page that shows you the steps for unlocking the device. 

Mobile Device Unlock | Settings | Pixel 7 | T-Mobile Support

If you have any problems with those steps, you will need to call 1-800-937-8997 to speak to one of our customer support representatives. They have resources available that tell them exactly what to do in the event that someone bought a device through a third party retailer like BestBuy. 

Hey @HeavenM , I am from Brazil and got an Unlocked Pixel 7 from Best Buy 15 days ago.

I got back to Brazil and, when tried to activate the Pixel on a local carrier it says it is T Mobile locked.

The phone was paid full, with no discounts, as unlocked. I questioned best buy and it looks it was a mistake on inventory. The problems is that I have no way to contact t mobile (I am not even a client), The app they say exists to unlock pixel phone is not compatible (says it is only compatible with older android systems when trying to download).

Do you know how could I get this phone unlocked?

We have a great tutorial on our Support page that shows you the steps for unlocking the device. 

Mobile Device Unlock | Settings | Pixel 7 | T-Mobile Support

If you have any problems with those steps, you will need to call 1-800-937-8997 to speak to one of our customer support representatives. They have resources available that tell them exactly what to do in the event that someone bought a device through a third party retailer like BestBuy. 

Hey, thanks for the reply,

I saw this guide. But the step 2 tells me to download an APP. When trying to download it Google does not let and alert me the app is only compatible with older versions of android.

It is not possible to US  call toll free phones from Brazil

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

contact BB. they for sure gave you the incorrect phone. TMO wont be able to unlock it due to their rules..this is by far on BB to fix.

contact BB. they for sure gave you the incorrect phone. TMO wont be able to unlock it due to their rules..this is by far on BB to fix.

I agree with you 100% it is BB that should fix. I am twying T Mobile to help as the easy fix would be on their hands.

Mailing the phone to USA for a refund with BB would be expensive and I would be without phone. Unlocking the phone by software would be easier.  The phone was paid full, no montly payment or discount.

It was never activated on T Mobile, only tried to activate when I was already in Brazil

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I agree with you 100% it is BB that should fix. I am twying T Mobile to help as the easy fix would be on their hands.

Mailing the phone to USA for a refund with BB would be expensive and I would be without phone. Unlocking the phone by software would be easier.  The phone was paid full, no montly payment or discount.

It was never activated on T Mobile, only tried to activate when I was already in Brazil

If you are not able to call T-Mobile, you can message us from Facebook or Twitter. If you click the icon for Facebook or Twitter at the bottom of this page, you will get to a page that allows you to direct message us. That team has the ability to further review unlock options just like they would if you called in. 

Since BestBuy gave you the wrong model, returning it is probably the best bet.  It may be possible for you to reach BestBuy customer support on their website and speak to them about return options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Pixel will unlock after 30 days even if it not paid off.

The Pixel will unlock after 30 days even if it not paid off.

Even if I do not activate it with T Mobile at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

All I know is my Pixel unlocked after 40days after being on a post paid plan.

Pre-paid qualified to unlock, submitted several times by phone, but not unlocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Pre-paid qualified to unlock, submitted several times by phone, but not unlocked.

Prepaid needs to have 365 days of usage or $100 in refills to be eligible for the unlock.

My account is recharged with one hundred dollars.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My account is recharged with one hundred dollars.

There's still a 17 day wait after the $100 recharge.

Mine is more than twenty days old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Mine is more than twenty days old.

Contact Tmobile support. This is basically a user to user forum with some tmobile moderation that don't have account access.

The customer service told me that I met the requirements and had submitted an application to unlock the case. Let me wait for 72 hours.It's not unlocked when the time is up. Deceive me

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone? iPhones are different to unlock than Android.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

According to the unlock requirements the phone will automatically unlock once all the requirements are met.

Maybe @HeavenM has some insight since she is the one who posted the requirements.

Also was the phone used for 17 days on Tmobile USA towers after the $100 refill?

Top-up 100 dollars, used for more than 20 days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

at this point its been 20 days or at the point that you contacted them to get it unlocked?

It's been 20 days。Contact them