Question

Samsung vs Tmobile unlock device

• 3 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

My family and I switched phone carriers, we were able to port phone numbers. 1 phone however was paid off and we are not able to unlock and getting error 116.

My parents have been in tmobile locations in MI 3 times for over a hour each to get told we can’t help you. 

It was purchased as unlocked direct from Samsung (a14) and now it shows status locked but Tmobile says they aren’t locking it. 

Any ideas on resolution as I am 1 thousand miles away from my parents to try and force unlock. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Check the version of the phone to see if Samsung sold you the correct phone. This has happened before when the salesperson is in a hurry and grabs the wrong version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Defvices sold under a reseller flex policy will SIM lock to the first SIM put in the device.  This is more than likely what happened as this is the only way a device can SIM lock out of the box.  In order to be eligible for T-Mobile to SIM unlock the device.  You must be a current T-Mobile customer and your ac count and device must meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements.  

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile