Solved

SPRING/ MVNO T-MOBILE IPHONE XS SIM LOCK PROBLEM (ON UPGRADE IOS17)

• 2 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello; 

I purchased a SIM-unlocked phone in 2018, and I have been using my phone without any issues for years. When I upgraded to iOS 17, my phone entered restore mode, and when it was reset to factory settings, the device woke up locked to a SIM card.

my mail address is: a**********@hotmail.com

icon

Best answer by syaoran 2 October 2023, 13:33

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Factory resetting and or restoring a device does not affect the SIM lock status of the device.  Where did you purchase the device from?  It sounds like you purchased a device that was jail broken that the update patched.  You also mentioned an MVNO.  You would have to contact them and meet all of their requirements to have the device SIM unlocked, not T-Mobile.  

Badge

I used this phone since 2018 with sim unlocked. however update to iOS 17 now sim lock. SPRİNT- MVNO  is transfer to t-mobile. but i have no excellence english to speak customer service international

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sprint doesn’t exist anymore and hasn’t for years now.  Regardless of that, OS updates do not and can not modify the SIM lock/unlock status of a device.  This is why you just have purchased a device that was jail broken to circumvent the SIM lock, which the update patched.  T-Mobile only SIM unlocks devices for their customers.  Besides being a customer, all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements must be met as well.  

SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile

You don’t meet the SIM Unlock Policy requirements and without the original account info of the original purchaser, there is no way to know if the device actually meets the SIM Unlock Policy requirements.  You might want to check the device to make sure the device hasn’t been reported lost or stolen or potentially wasn’t fully paid off by the original owner, which would blacklist the device.  

IMEI Check, Free IMEI Checker - Swappa

Badge

dear syanoran I bought this phone new brand not second hand.

I used many years with sim unlocked. This phone is upgrade broken then connect to mac and when i restore to phone. phone is sim locked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Then it sounds like you are a victim of Apple’s reseller policy, where the first SIM put in the device, the device SIM locks to.  If that SIM isn’t recognized, then the device will sometimes not lock to that specific provider.  Again, updates and factory resets do not alter the SIM lock/unlock state on the device!  

If you purchased the device new and were a Sprint customer and used that device on the Sprint network long enough to meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements.  Then you can send a copy of your receipt with your account number that you purchased the device on and reach out to Customer Care or send a DM to T-Mobile on Facebook or Twitter to verify those requirements are met.  Once all of those requirements are verified as met.  Then T-Mobile can request the device be SIM Unlocked from Apple, which can take 3 weeks or longer.  

Badge

Does T-Mobile have a customer service email address? I want to write a text to explain my issue."

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does T-Mobile have a customer service email address? I want to write a text to explain my issue."

Not specifically, no.  That's what Customer Care and the T-Force Team on social media are for.