Solved

T-Mobile Unable to Unlock Phone?!?

• 3 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

So, I’m leaving T-Mobile after several years.  My employer is paying for a family plan w/ another provider as a benefit - So nothing T-Mobile did, you just can’t beat free :)  I never switched as I never had a problem with them and I’ve been a fan, but the past week is starting to change that.

As part of moving, I had a balance on a device which I paid off, and the following day (after seeing it was eligible) contacted T-Mobile to have the phone unlocked.  I was told it takes 24-72 hours, and it would be unlocked by Saturday. 

Saturday came along and the device was locked.  I went into a T-Mobile store, who told me I’d have to call for the unlock, but advised me to keep the account open until I had the phone unlocked.  That evening I chatted with T-Mobile via 611.  I was told it takes 24-48 hours, and was assured it would be unlocked by Monday. 

Yesterday, the phone was still locked.  I called T-Mobile, and was told it takes 24-72 hours.  I asked to be sent to a supervisor, who started telling me how she could understand my frustration… Then hung up on me.

On each of these calls I was told I met all eligibility to have the phone unlocked, but when they tried to do it there was “an error”.  In the meantime, I have to keep this plan open costing me $40 a week.  I feel like my phone is being held hostage.

Is there a secret to getting T-Mobile to give me my paid-for phone?  Again, my account is fully up to date with payments, the phone is paid off, and I’ve had it for over 9 months (well over the 90 days for eligibility).

icon

Best answer by fireguy_6364 3 October 2023, 17:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

contact TMO through either Facebook or Twitter..this starts you with tier 2 support over the call in tier 1 support agents. make sure to send them a message and dont post on their main page..they’ll need personal info and its stuff you dont want others knowing. DM only

Badge

Im weird as I’m not really on social media other than Reddit - Do they have something similar there?  If not I can create a Twitter account if it helps solve this!

Thank you for the reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is the device an iPhone?  Was the device purchased from a T-Mobile store or at a third party retailer, such as BestBuy?  

Badge

Is the device an iPhone?  Was the device purchased from a T-Mobile store or at a third party retailer, such as BestBuy?  

It is, and was purchased online from T-Mobile directly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is, and was purchased online from T-Mobile directly.

T-Mobile sends the request to Apple.  It is up to Apple to complete the SIM Unlock.  Because it's for an iPhone, the process can sometimes take 3 weeks or longer.  Only Android devices can be SIM unlocked within 24 to 48 hours reliably because T-Mobile handles all of the SIM Unlock process.