Solved

5G Gateway S1

• 26 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

Is there a WPS button on this device?  I can’t find it!   I understand TMO states the Gateway is its most powerful and 2x the range but not exactly true!  My boat dock is approx. 75ft from my Gateway and my Ring cameras can’t  connect.   I need a range extender and sync it to the Gateway, if possible.  Or switch to AT&T internet service which has WPS on its router. 

icon

Best answer by nc1037 26 March 2024, 18:08

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Bugatti5 IoT devices like cameras and thermostats usually need a seperate SSID on 2.4Ghz to connect. Most people have had success setting up a seperate SSID, using 2.4Ghz, and using a low security setting like WPA/WPA2. Then, reboot both devices and the connection should be made.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Badge

Thank you @copz1998     I’m not very technical so no clue how to set up a SSID!   I gravitate towards the idiot proof methods!! lol    If you have instructions on how to set-up a separate SSID and WPA/WPA2 low security settings, I'd GREATLY appreciate!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

INSTRUCTIONS

You can have several Wi-Fi networks on the gateway.  You want to leave the default network alone (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 security) and add a second, dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  

Add the second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.  Note that WPA/WPA2 (on the second network) is less secure, so I recommend setting this network to be Hidden.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Main instructions

Help Center | APP Android | T-Mobile Support

Help Center | APP iOS | T-Mobile Support

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@nc1037 thanks for the helpful post!

Badge

Thank you @copz1998 and @nc1037 !!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Bugatti5 were you able to connect your Ring cameras?

Badge

@nc1037  will reset the Ring camera tomorrow when not as windy.  Will post you.

Badge

@nc1037 after establishing a separate SSID, the camera still would not connect.  My solution was to relocate the camera closer to the Gateway and now it works.   Thanks again for the guidance!