Solved

5G Home Internet

• 4 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I just received my gateway KVD21 (switching from Verizon 5G) and while I am able to connect my devices (phones, laptop, DirecTV Genie 2), I am unable to get the apps (Netflix, Paramount+, Prime, etc.) on DirecTV to stream. I receive an error that the internet/wifi is not connected, even though the TV says it is. This issue could mean I cannot switch…

any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by copz1998 5 August 2023, 15:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Dhammie according to a few messages posted about Direct TV and TMHI, the best recommendation seems to be for you to add a seperate SSID for your Direct TV device. Try adding a 5Ghz band and create a new SSID like “directtv” and then try to reconnect the Direct TV device to the new SSID. 

Let us know what happens.

Badge

Added the additional SSID and unfortunately same error. Ex. Netflix error code: nw-2-5

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Dhammie so that I am clear, the Direct TV device sees and connects to your SSID? Can you get the regular channels on Direct TV? Did you setup your new SSID with WPA2 vs WPA3? Some devices use the lower security protocol (WPA2) and will not make a good handshake unless the Lowe protocol is available. The last thing I would try would be a hard reboot of both devices, starting the T-Mobile gateway first so that Direct TV has something to connect to.

I hope this helps. 

Badge

I am able to connect to the new network on the DirecTV device. Set up as WPA2...same error

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Dhammie it appears you have performed all of the standard preventative maintenance. I would start calling Direct TV customer support and describe your symptoms. Especially since other devices can connect to the T-Mobile gateway and get internet access, the bottleneck seems to be Direct TV.

Let us know what happens.  

Badge

Great news!! Contacted T-Mobile support and they walked me through setting up the additional SSID as 2.4ghz, WPA/WPA2, encryption TKIP & AES. All is working now.

Badge

I've had 5g home internet for 6 days now and I'm perplexed. I am often getting the wifi is on but no internet message. So I've rebooted my gateway perhaps 7-8x. Set up a separate 2.4 network for my Ooma phone as Ooma tells me that 5g wifi won't work with VOIP. Interesting side note is about 7-8 pm every evening my Roku box seems to slow down and buffer more.  My cell phone is set up for 5g wifi and it too seems to fluctuate in the evening. I am honestly quite frustrated that out of the box there's no 5g signal to speak of in my area and I'm trying to configure 4g lte on everything. But WHY am I still getting wifi on but no internet connection messages?  Sigh.

Badge

I was confused as well...I recommend contacting T-Mobile customer support who solved my issue